Ultra-processed foods (Read 1274 times)

#artbydmcbride

my lunch: raw spinach leaves, raw almonds, raw peeled (!) carrots, cooked (!) salmon with salt and lemon, raw green beans.

I am going to try for a Peter Frampton later on.....

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

So I didnt have nutella.  But I did have 2 3 4 pieces of the kids halloween candy.  I do feel exactly the same as when I eat a salad with olive oil dressing.  Who knew?

MTA: Ilene your raw almonds probably weren't really raw.  Unless you grew them yourself.  Probably steam pasteurized.   So ultraprocessed!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

#artbydmcbride

Really?  I bought them right at a roadside stand at an orchard.  It didn't look like they were set up to steam anything.  But I didn't see them shelling them either.....

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

Really?  I bought them right at a roadside stand at an orchard.  It didn't look like they were set up to steam anything.  But I didn't see them shelling them either.....

those might be then.  California has some weird almond pasteurization law but I dont know about roadside stands.  Of course you should have eaten the shell.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The chocolate shotgun.

Processed.

That's the effect a pound of chocolate had on my dog.  Both ends.

northernman

Fight The Future

I've always been partial to Twinkies

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

Imminent Catastrophe

My dog Taz does a great Frampton.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

uncontrollable

Just beginning to, um, digest this. Thoughts?

Good info, thanks!

peace

uncontrollable

Anyone want to, um, weigh in on PopTarts?

I am trying to detox from them as we speak,

I love them

They taste good

They look pretty (strawberry frosted)

Sad time

peace

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Good info, thanks!

Not really.  Much of this thread has torn the article apart.  It presents a classification scheme that lumps oatmeal with honey into the same class as Moon Pies.

flatland mountaineer

Marketers are having a heyday with this one, trying to differentiate products that are basically commodity items from competition. The one that comes to mind immediately is the commercial featuring Curtis Stone telling why the cereal he is representing is better because you can see the crease from the wheat kernal in his flake as opposed to the other brands similar flake virtually identical without the crease showing. I am guessing it was a minor adjustment in the width of the rollers or some other slight modification in the steam flaking process to give the different visual which I suspect makes absolutely minor or even no difference in food value. Both flakes would be a far cry from Captn Crunch but not much difference between them.

When we were feeding livestock we often processed our grains with a roller mill or buying steam flaked grains as some level of processing made nutrients more available,sometimes as simple as just physically breaking a hard seed coat. I can't seem to find my old Livestock Feeds and Feeding text from my college class to give facts and figures of this so as such my observations are anecdotal but we would not add cost to a ration without proven results.

I remember my dad getting wheat from the bin and cleaning, grinding and cooking it for breakfast, healthy I suppose but the taste was bleeeck!  Personally as much as I love raw vegtables I don't process them well, steaming them and I don't have any problems....... Maybe some nutrients were lesened in the steaming process but the overwhelming take home is steamed or not the veggies prepared this way are still healthy food.

And lastly besides nutrient availablity and palatability some foods are processed for food safety reasons. Being the son of a third generation farmer that also did a stint as a food scientist, I have some rather strong feelings on this also. My dad is a dairy science major with bacterology and organic chem minors. He worked for a regional dairy products company as a troublshooter to plants that had quality control issues( and possible food safety issues) which dad said a very large percentage of the problems were due to just plain poor housekeeping. Also part of his duties were to bring the company into compliance with the new at that time Delaney Clause which at that time was interpreted as food products could have no extraneous material. As dad said anyone that ever examined food stuffs under a microscope knew that would be an almost impossible task because frankly ag does not operate in a computer clean room environment. Long story short after dad returned to the farm we always pastuerized our milk from our cows for family consumption even though we had complete control over the whole process. He was also a stickler for basic food safety procedures, cooking meat to proper temps, washing fruits and veggies, separtion or cleaning of utensils between those use for raw and cooked meats, etc...

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III