Does Motionbased give you a longer distance than Garmin Training Center? (Read 634 times)

AnneCA

Just curious -- I'm new to the Garmin thing (thanks for the bday present, DH!). Wink I get a distance on the 305, then that same distance transfers to the Garmin Training Center. Then when I upload it to Motionbased.com, suddenly another tenth of a mile or so gets added. Not material in the grand scheme of things, just . . . curious.

Sometimes it's extra, sometimes its less. Usually its a little extra, since it will figure out that if you are cutting a corner through a house that it should have you go to the edge of the road and make the turn.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

an amazing likeness

Garmin Training Center (GTC) uses the total distance recorded by the Forerunner. Motionbased adds up all the data points to calculate a distance. There is a topic in the motionbased wiki which has a pretty good description: http://wiki.motionbased.com/mb/FAQ-MotionBased#Why_does_the_distance_vary_between_MotionBased_and_the_GPS_device.3F

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I get the shortest distance reported with Garmin, then SportTracks, then Motionbased for the longest, so I always use Garmin as my ultimate decider. I'd rather rely on worse case scenario than best. At least in SportTracks you can get the Garmin splits in by pressing the little pencil icon.
          AnneCA

Thanks for the answers! I hadn't seen that MotionBased Wiki, but that's helpful.