What the hell is a "5K Foam Fest" (Read 305 times)

Arimathea

Tessa

I must be an old fogey. I thought a "5K Foam Fest" involved postrace refreshment in the nearest pub.

I am barely able to hide my disdain for this sort of thing.

The big thing around here seems to be "color runs".  Are we in India?  We like to ruin our expensive running clothes?  Are these people driving home in $40k cars?  WTF?

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Dude. You don't wear your expensive running clothes to a color run...

The big thing around here seems to be "color runs".  Are we in India?  We like to ruin our expensive running clothes?  Are these people driving home in $40k cars?  WTF?

Liz

pace sera, sera

emmbee

queen of headlamps

As a 30-something mom, I suspect I'm the target audience for the low-key fun runs, but good lord, I cannot think of any way to make a three mile run worse than by throwing colored powder at me, or foam, and having to dodge people in tutus.

running metalhead

I must be an old fogey. I thought a "5K Foam Fest" involved postrace refreshment in the nearest pub.

I know it's 7:36 in the morning but I'm really tempted... don't take me wrong, I just came back from a 10km training and had hummus with real hot chutney for breakfast.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
            - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
            - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
            - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
            - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
            - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

running metalhead

Dude. You don't wear your expensive running clothes to a color run...

I don't wear expensive running clothes to any place XD

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
              - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
              - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
              - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
              - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
              - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

I don't wear expensive running clothes to any place XD

Well, I only wear really old t-shirts and undershirts.  I likely look homeless.  But still, I don't need to get paint or powder or mud or foam or anything, on me.  It is very hard for me to understand why people would pay for it, and thus my negative attitude.  I can take a bubble bath and dig in the garden after my jog.

Feeling the growl again

You may be surprise but I did a color run.  Why?  My wife wanted to do it, it was something she would have fun with we could do together, and it was a shot to get her in a 5K for the first time in years (pre-pregnancies).  What the heck, a few hours away from the kids doing something with my wife.

If was dumb beyond dumb.  My wife told me to see what would happen if I passed the lead car.  So I did, they tried to keep up with me for a few seconds, shot me a dirty look, and let me go.  A mile or so in I had several minutes on everyone already so I just stopped and waited for my wife.  I ran with her a short distance, and she decided she didn't like the distraction so she told me to go again.  So I got another dirty look from the lead car as I took off.

IIRC I finished in 17-high and was 5-7 minutes in front of the next finisher.  The color was nasty, and neither of us had the desire to go another.  Most of the people there were really walkers.  They had fun for whatever reason, so if they want to pay for it I'm fine with it.  But for actual runners I see the attraction of these less than even obstacle runs.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I am thinking on this whole thing. I don't get it. But then I can think of MANY stupid things I have done. Like running a marathon.  And after that, running more marathons.  And running an ultra. And, after that, running more ultras. Which is incredibly stupid.

Running really cross country around here, through the prickly pear and all. Those never fail to be color runs, and the color is red. All this is completely and utterly without any logical explanation.

Anyhow, I will stick to my strenuous jogging.  It will be stupid.