Changing my long run (Read 594 times)

I've been doing my long run on Sundays while I have been training for the Country Music Marathon. This week is my first 20 miler of the program. It just so happens that I have Thursday completely off of work, when I am scheduled for 5 miles. Because of Easter weekend and whatnot, does anyone see a problem with moving my long run to Thursday so instead of a Tu, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun looks like 5,8,5,5,20, it looks like 5,5,20,8,5 (tempo). Anyone?

uncontrollable

Are you doing speedwork at all? What do you usually do on Mon's? I would not do the 8 the day after the 20 and as long as you're smart about the pace on the 5's preceding the 20 - I think it could work. Definately don't overdo the pace with the 20 either. It looked like you are gearing toward a sub 4:00 time and I don't know if it's your first marathon, how long you've been running, or if you've had any injuries lately SO think all that through & see what others may have to say. Overall, the long run is key, so if I had to adjust (and I've had to in the past due to work or whatever) ... I would greatly adjust or omit another prescribed run to make sure I got my 20, without injury! GOOD LUCK! Smile

peace

jeffdonahue

For me it would depend on when you did your last long run prior to the Thursday. I am assuming you did one the Sunday and I usually think of it more in terms of whether your body will be rested enough for another 20 miles just 4 days after a long run.

I'd go for it. But then, I've been known to schedule 15 and 20 milers back to back in the same weekend. As stated, I'd make sure that you felt well rested before committing, but you can probably work it in. As also stated, you might want to swap the 8 and the 5 to put the 8 on Saturday instead of Friday.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

No problem,, gotta make the plan work for you, within reason. BTW,, took a peak at your log and you look real stroing to reach your goal of sub 4hr marathon. Good Luck
            Tremont

It looks like your last long run was on the 9th so you should be fine on Thursday. You'll still get a recovery day the day after, it'll just be on Friday instead of Monday. Just don't crank your runs on Tuesday and Wednesday. You should be recovered enough to also be fine with a tempo on Sunday but I agree with MissPratt that getting your long runs in (with adequate recovery) should be your first objective so postpone or skip other workouts as necessary.
                Thanks guys. Looks like Thursday it is. I was supposed to go 13 this past Sunday as a recovery week, but I was out of town on a job interview, so 7 was as much as I could get in, but with it being a recovery week, I wasn't too disappointed or concerned. 2nd marathon, and yes, going for the sub-4.