Tabulate graph data. (Read 902 times)

It would be nice to be able to see the data used to generate graphs in tabular form.

For example, it would give a way of easily seeing km (or mile) splits for runs where you don't actually have individual lap data.

Obviously you can try and read it off from a graph of Distance against Duration, but a table would be handy.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you don't have the lap data for mile splits, how would you then be able to show it in any form?

I woulkd guess pr100 may be referring to data from the gps. Technically, it has thousands of data points available to use as splits, but RA only shows the gps splits by default. On a graph you can see more detailed data points. Using other products like sport tracks, you can setup custom splits that auto calculate pace using the gps data points instead of the default gps split (usually 1 mile).
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Like this?

Intervals (GPS Interval)
           TypeDistanceTimeTotal TimePace
          1 Interval 1 mi 9:56.16 9:56.16 9:57  
          2 Interval 1 mi 9:10.53 19:06.69 9:11  
          3 Interval 1 mi 9:16.71 28:23.40 9:17  
            This is the way my gps data shows by default. Now if you want to change those splits to .25 miles and have it auto calculate pace/time, or say you did a 4 mile tempo in the middle if an 8 mile run and want to autocalculate the average pace/time for the tempo segment . I realize this stuff can be done manually by plugging in the numbers.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The intervals come from the GPS.  To create different, ad-hoc intervals after the fact would require calculating through the GPS data to generate the new intervals.  If you want 0.25 intervals, why not set the GPS to do that ahead of time?

You can definitely do that, but the convenience of being able to manipulate your data with a few clicks after the fact is nice.  It's not a huge deal, but sometimes it's handy to be able to play with your splits especially when going back and looking at race results.

If you don't have the lap data for mile splits, how would you then be able to show it in any form?

Presumably the gps data tells how far you've been each sampling interval (whatever that is - some number of seconds). So the information is there to tell you what you're mile or km (or whatever) splits are, irrespective of whether you've actually got explicit splits from an auto-lap function or manually hitting the lap key.

Like this?

Intervals (GPS Interval)
                     TypeDistanceTimeTotal TimePace
                    1 Interval 1 mi 9:56.16 9:56.16 9:57  
                    2 Interval 1 mi 9:10.53 19:06.69 9:11  
                    3 Interval 1 mi 9:16.71 28:23.40 9:17  

Right, but unless I'm missing something you can only get that my hitting the lap key, or setting your gps to autolap. But the information is presumably there to derive those splits anyhow.

pr100, sport tracks has the feature you are looking for, you can set custom splits and it automatically calculates the new splits for you or pick out a specific data point.  It used to be free, but now it appears they have a trial version or a pay version.  Although I miss the feature, I don't miss it enough to keep my log updated in two places...   Here is a link to the site:  http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

kcam

The intervals come from the GPS.  To create different, ad-hoc intervals after the fact would require calculating through the GPS data to generate the new intervals.  If you want 0.25 intervals, why not set the GPS to do that ahead of time?

This feature would be EXTREMELY useful to those of us that are data geeks.  When I run a marathon (or a 1/2 marathon or a 30K) I almost always head over to Sporttracks to see how I did in terms of various splits.  I check the enitre race by 5K, 10K, even 0.25mile to see if I really did 'kick' at the end and by how much.  Was my last 5K of the marathon faster, slower or the same as the first 5K etc?  It'd be great if RA did this for us - then we wouldn't have to bring McDonalds food into Taco Bell, or whatever.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, I see it now.  Derived 5k splits in a marathon would be interesting.

Why is it sideways?

At what point does a plethora of features designed to please a small percentage of self-proclaimed data geeks undermine what the vast majority of us want: a simple, smooth, and reliable way to log our runs?

So far Eric has done a great job of adding features without producing too much clutter, so maybe it's a moot point.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Jeff, I understand this particular request as a way to run a report on an activity, so it would be hidden away under the report tab.  Out of clutter's way.