Looking for a little advice. (Read 616 times)

Ran my first race of the season, a 5k in 19:58 on a very hilly course. This was my first race since 2005. Had a hamstring pull and PF that basically shot the racing season for 2006. Was running my 5ks in the mid 18:30s in 2005. Any tricks to get back into sub 19 minute shape? Race was OK, but I tend to struggle with maintaining pace for the last 1/2 of my races. Try starting out slower but seem to have the same problem. My first mile usually feels good, like I'm not going out too hard. Any direction is appreciated. Thanks.
      What I'm finding out right now is that, after a long break from racing, it's hard to determine just how hard you can push in a race. It might take a few races before you realize just how fast you really can go. When I was racing my fastest 5ks, I would be out in a somewhat comfortable first mile. Then it was a push the second mile just to maintain that pace. And the third mile felt like I was going all out--and that was just to maintain the same pace. Every so often it might be a touch faster, but I learned that giving the same effort as the first mile wouldn't give me the same split. Paraphrasing Bob Kennedy from a long time ago: The 5k is race where you should be running 1-2 seconds per quarter of a complete breakdown. Of course, that might not be practical for us, but that's the way it should feel if you want to run you best 5k. But it takes time to get that feeling...and a flat course. You'll do it! Just give it some time.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You're really doing some solid training, and your intervals indicate that you're very close. The fact that you did 3 x 0.9 mi at ~6:05 pace says to me that you should be able to race at that pace (3x1 mi is a great predictor of 5k speed). Given the hilly course, you may be closer than you think. Since you seem pretty serious about intervals, you may want to add 6x800 and 12x400 to your toolbox. Aim for 2:45~2:52 on the 800's and 80~84 seconds on the quarters. (I got these paces entering 18:45 5k into the McMillan Running Calculator. Use your best judgment). I'm sure mikeymike will tell you to add some 100m strides to your easy runs. Good advice that. You may also try this superset workout which is pretty gnarly: 1) Run 600m close to all-out intesntity 2) Without stopping, run 1000m at your current 5k pace 3) 4 min recovery jog (can be reduced over time) Do 3x(600-1000) (can be increased over time.) I got this workout from a book by Dr. Owen Anderson of Running Research News. Here's what he says about it: "These 5-K super sets are great for vVO2max, lac- tate threshold, running economy, and max running speed, and they are great preparation for real-live 5Ks. They de- crease the perceived effort associated with running at 5-K pace, and they also help you handle surges in intensity within your 5-K races; they are also great tools for surviv- ing overly fast starts in your 5-K competitions – and for opening up a big gap early in the race on an opponent who has been bugging you in previous competitions. " Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thanks for the advice. 400s used to be my main workout. Did it at least 1 time every other week. Not sure why I got away from this. Will try the 400's and the 800s and see what happens. May also try doing a few ladders to mix it up a bit. Thanks again!
          Jeffrey

If you ran a 19:58 on a "very hilly course" you should be able to go sub 19 on a flat[ter] course, don't you think? Thanks for the thread as I was looking for some 5k info in the Forums archive recently.
            Ran my first race of the season, a 5k in 19:58 on a very hilly course. This was my first race since 2005. Had a hamstring pull and PF that basically shot the racing season for 2006. Was running my 5ks in the mid 18:30s in 2005. Any tricks to get back into sub 19 minute shape? Race was OK, but I tend to struggle with maintaining pace for the last 1/2 of my races. Try starting out slower but seem to have the same problem. My first mile usually feels good, like I'm not going out too hard. Any direction is appreciated. Thanks.
              Thanks for the response. Yes, I probably am a little faster than this course allowed. Unfortunately, my first 2 races of the season are on very hilly courses (Long hills, the worst kind!). I always say that I'm not going to do them, but I seem to always fill out the entry form and show up on race day! Thanks again