Photo of a Tanzanian Marathoner's Shoes (Read 1216 times)

Junior Amphibian

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

The Greatest of All Time

I am sure Phil Knight is shitting himself.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        I am sure Phil Knight is shitting himself.
        You probably want the shoes because they are black Wink

The Greatest of All Time

You probably want the shoes because they are black Wink
          Only if I can have the toe rings too.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            Um. Maybe that's crossing a line. And that's coming from a guy who could set off a metal detector if I were to wear all my piercings.

Me and my RP

guy??? piercings???? you have my attentionSmile

Man in Tights

So much for those zillion posts on the need for good running shoes. Angry

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

wow.... that photo is the exact reason why the term "A picture is worth a thousand words" is made of. wow just wow.
                  -Jen
                  2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                    So let's hear from you minimalists out there. This really is no different than the Tarahumara indians in Northern Mexico who have similar "shoes" and run for hundreds of miles with no injuries. What about you barefoot runners? Abebe Bikala won the 1960 Olympic Marathon gold medal, or sometime around then, running in Rome...barefoot.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

So let's hear from you minimalists out there. This really is no different than the Tarahumara indians in Northern Mexico who have similar "shoes" and run for hundreds of miles with no injuries. What about you barefoot runners? Abebe Bikala won the 1960 Olympic Marathon gold medal, or sometime around then, running in Rome...barefoot.
                      Hey Ambler! As a toddler I lived near Morris and Butler Pike for a couple years. I wonder if because most of us (excepting Tanzanian and Tarahumara RA members) have been shod in "specialty shoes" for so long that we've adapted to them biomechanically. (I mean, in an individual sense, not Darwinian.) Bet it would take some time - months ? - to unadapt.
                      Mr R

Barefoot on cement hurts my feet, though I've heard that you just need to get used to it. However, anything more than bare feet and I'm fine. I've done 14 mile tempos, on concrete roads, in NB RC 152s--pretty similar to a distance spike. I never consciously thought of myself as a minimalist, rather, these types of shoes are the only ones I've ever been comfortable in. I played soccer from the time I could walk until age 22, so that probably has a lot to do with it. Conditioning runs were done in indoor soccer shoes. During tournaments, I'd sometimes play three, 90-minute games in one day, all in cleats. The first time I walked into a running store, I must have tried 15 pair of shoes, before I asked about a pair of slick-looking Asics flats I saw. Although I was a novice, the salesperson was probably too exasperated to try and dissuade me. The second that I put them on, I knew they were the right shoe.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Those reduce-reuse-recycle flats are very cool, but I think their most important piece of running gear will be the stick/club. I doubt they worry much about being boxed in when they are carrying those.

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

GP160

You mean to tell me they can afford plane tickets to Britain but not running sneaks? C'mon people!
                            Ironman Louisville 8-30-09

skinnycaponesugar

Love that photo! Big grin

Love, Run, Sleep

You mean to tell me they can afford plane tickets to Britain but not running sneaks? C'mon people!
                                I heard they plan to run in their traditional clothing and shields too, to raise money for a fresh water source.