Kindle (Read 961 times)

heather85

I am trying to decide whether to get a kindle. They are ridiculously cheap right now.

I kind of like the feel of a book, and books I like on my bookshelf... but cutting costs sounds good.

Normally, too much screentime bothers my stomach and eyesbut I hear thats not a problem with the new e-readers.

Anyone have one and have any thoughts?

The new KIndle "Fire" has captured my attention. I'm just not sure about the 7" diagonal size. My daughter LOVES her old basic Kindle for reading books,,,, and says the outdoor display clarity cannot be matched with tablets etc.... I know I want internet connectivity and web browsing as well. I actually have in front of me a piece of paper I have cut to the exact dimensions of the "Fire", and even drew in the border. It seems small, though it is 4X bigger than my Blackberry screen. I don't carry my 14" laptop around w/ me as that is too big.... I'll probably wait till after the November release, check the reviews, and bite.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My wife really loves her Kindle, and she's normally somewhat old fashioned about such things as the feel and smell of books.  She's had it for about a year and a half.  I got her a lovely leather cover for the Kindle that gives it an air of class.

Amazon of course makes it extremely easy to buy books for your Kindle, but a great deal of the books DW has were downloaded for free.  She subscribes to some blog that alerts her to all the current free downloads.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The new KIndle "Fire" has captured my attention. I'm just not sure about the 7" diagonal size. My daughter LOVES her old basic Kindle for reading books,,,, and says the outdoor display clarity cannot be matched with tablets etc.... I know I want internet connectivity and web browsing as well. I actually have in front of me a piece of paper I have cut to the exact dimensions of the "Fire", and even drew in the border. It seems small, though it is 4X bigger than my Blackberry screen. I don't carry my 14" laptop around w/ me as that is too big.... I'll probably wait till after the November release, check the reviews, and bite.

I'm interested in the Fire for myself, but more as a tablet PC than as an e-reader.  If reading was my primary use, I'd get something with the e-ink screen.

I love my Kindle. The basic--now cheap Kindle is great and is the easiest to read--no glare--very easy on the eyes. You can also sync up with your blackberry, iphone, ipad, whatever. I havent really looked into the Fire. But if you are looking for a basic tablet as well-I'd go that route..but I'm not sure if it has the same glareless--easy to read outside screen. I'm sure that information is on the product page for the Fire.

I'm interested in the Fire for myself, but more as a tablet PC than as an e-reader.  If reading was my primary use, I'd get something with the e-ink screen.

I agree.  For reading only the Basic kindle is awesome.  Plus the battery life lasts for weeks on a charge while the fire i think you need to charge after 7-8 hours.

We just have the basic Kindle with Wi-Fi only.  It does have a really basic web browsing feature in case you need to surf the internet.  It's not as good as a tablet but definitly better than trying to use the phone I have.

It is really nice for traveling.

Amazon of course makes it extremely easy to buy books for your Kindle, but a great deal of the books DW has were downloaded for free.  She subscribes to some blog that alerts her to all the current free downloads.

I love love love my Kindle. I love books and still occasionally buy a real one if it's something I want to keep on my shelf. The Kindle just makes things so much easier. I live overseas and we have a tiny library and even smaller book selection at our one store on base. Unless I want to order something online and wait several weeks for it to get here, the Kindle is the only way to go. I tend to look around and buy the cheap ones and get a lot of the free ones as well. Do you happen to know the name of the blog your wife reads? That would definitely come in handy! I can't read on a regular screen for long either, but that's not a problem at all with the Kindle. 

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

+1

The Kindle Fire is very compelling as a low-end tablet, but nothing (besides paper) beats an e-ink display when it comes to reading.  We have a Barnes and Noble Nook Simple Touch (equivalent to the $99 Kindle Touch) and it has the same Pearl E-ink display.  I can strongly recommend that display, but  I can't recommend the Nook anymore -- it blew the doors off the old Kindle when it came out, but the new Kindles can do more for less $$$.

It's definitely true that eyestrain is no more an issue with e-ink display s than it is with paper.  Tablets may do a lot of things well, but the e-ink Kindles (and Nooks) do one thing extremely well.

MTA: Yeah, the Kindle Fire won't be a good outdoor reader -- those kind of displays, like on any other tablet or phone, aren't great in bright sunlight.  E-ink is great on a sunny day.

And yes, the syncing is great.  So cool the read something on your e-reader, then on you iPhone, maybe a little on your desktop, and back again, retaining your place and bookmark along the way.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

A Saucy Wench

I like the feel of books.....but considering my life primarily consists of shuttling kids around and then waiting kindle was the only way to go.  Eyestrain is NOT a problem with the regular kindle. I use mine all the time and yes, the charge lasts FOREVER.

The "cost cutting" aspect is marginal...If you really want to cut costs go to the library, OTOH the library here is starting to carry some kindle compatible books.  And they have the daily deal which is good if you arent looking for something in particular. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

My wife really loves her Kindle, and she's normally somewhat old fashioned about such things as the feel and smell of books.  She's had it for about a year and a half.  I got her a lovely leather cover for the Kindle that gives it an air of class.

+1

I'm the same way and collected even 1st Editions Hard Covers of my favorite authors for years. Kindle is extremely easy to use, great in various light conditions.  I eventually took the plunge and have been very happy with it.  Sure makes traveling with a few good books much easier.

What was I chasing again?

I've got one and really like it. But my 12 year old daughter appropriated it six or seven months ago and absolutely loves it. She really, really likes being able to "carry around" half a dozen books and reading which ever one she's in the mood for. She also likes that we allow her an (almost) unlimited budget when it comes to reading - unlike every other area of her life where she had to budget / save / make choices.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jeffdonahue

I kind of like the feel of a book, and books I like on my bookshelf... but cutting costs sounds good.

how exactly are you cutting costs here?  From what I understand and have seen, the books on the kindle (or Nook, which my daughter has) are just as expensive as a paper book, and in some cases more expensive.

for me, I guess it would be more about convenience because if you want a book you can download it immediately.  But I like paper books and dont use a nook or kindle.

Why is it sideways?

Yeah, there are a ton of free books on the Kindle. I like mine, especially since I do a lot of material that I read has no more copyright. Great for the airplane, too.

xor

I can read my real books at take off and landing though.  So.  HA.

(I am considering getting some kind of e-reader as well.  Thanks for the discussion)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think it would be great for people who travel a lot or who have difficulty getting books locally in their own language.

MTA:  And for those who move a lot and are tired of all the hundred-pound boxes of books.