Higher mileage feels easier? (Read 1118 times)

Hawt and sexy

Once you get past 50 mpw, what's another 20-30 miles really?

I'm touching your pants.

JakeKnight

Once you get past 50 mpw, what's another 20-30 miles really?
      Is this a math problem? They told us there'd be no math.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Hawt and sexy

There is no math, just run. The answer is 42 anyway.

I'm touching your pants.

Mr R

It only feels easy when the adaptation has taken place. Before the adaptation, higher mileage can be exhausting. For example, last summer was the first time I averaged over 90 mpw for 10 or more weeks. I was getting lots of sleep, and my speedwork was nothing more intense than strides and tempos. Nevertheless, I was exhausted much of the time. Fast forward to last fall: I'm running 100 mpw, with mile repeats, races, hard tempos, hills, and 20 mile long runs ending at only 15 seconds slower than 8k pace, yet I felt fine. I wasn't even getting as much sleep as I had been. It takes some patience though. For me, it was about 3.5 months before I really felt like that level of mileage was no longer taking a lot out of me.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Feeling the growl again

I don't even feel like myself until I'm running over 70mpw, which sucks because I haven't consistently run that in over a year now. Even though I am no longer adapted to run that mileage, after 3-4 days of being on pace to hit that my energy level goes up and I run better.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

There is no math, just run. The answer is 42 anyway.
              Oh yes, there is math. You left out the age factor. Wink
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just finished my highest mileage week ever. 2 weeks ago was my previous highest week. With the exception of this dumb lingering respiratory crap I'm fighting I feel fantastic--NO pain, body feels strong. A year ago I couldn't even come close to my current mileage without feeling beat up. I think what was key was maintaining ~30 miles/week, all Winter long. Now these weeks approaching 40mpw don't seem like such a stretch. The prior Winter I was lucky to get 20mpw. I think the only thing that is going to make 50mpw weeks hard with marathon training will be dealing with heat. As much as I hate running on ice and snow, it's more a minor discomfort compared to running when it's hot. When it's hot I don't just deal with sore muscles and legs that have to work harder--heat makes me physically ill and can be a true danger. I wish my marathon were in early Nov., rather than early Oct., for that reason.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

So it really *is* 42? Wow. Seriously, I wonder where diminishing returns kick in. I thought 20 was good. 25 was even better! Oooh, wait, I liked 30 and now 35 is the best yet! Now I'm heading to 40...when will it end? How much more can my family stand? What's wrong with me??? Big grin Yeah, I'd be happy if 42 was the answer. *sigh* Arla

Ex runner

Slow-smooth-fast

I have been building back up after injury. I have been doing 40-50 mpw for the last 5 weeks. Last week I did a 20 mile week as I raced yesterday, and it helped. I was refreshed for it. The question is, I have another 10k in 3 weeks. Should I do the next 2 weeks at 50mpw, then cut down on race week again? the queston is really regarding how many miles you should do on a race week, because I know that if I did a normal week of running I would by no means come out with an oiptimum race time. Yet I know in order to progress I need to get the miles in during the preceeding weeks. This kind of seems hard for me to grasp for those who race every weekend. Does this mean that they are not reaching their potential, cos I dont know how they could manage normal weeks when they are racing. Take my bro for example, he runs every weekend, but still cranks out 60-70 mile weeks. Is he not reaching his potential? He always cranks out good results though. He was second yesterday in the 10k I did, where I place 18th.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Mr R

That's exactly what it means. You have to balance racing and training. You can't race well and train well at the same time. In your case, it doesn't seem like you have an impending goal race, so you can't really be set back by tapering. Collegiate runners need to worry about peaking at a specific time, so that's why they are often training through. Post-collegiate runners have the luxury of picking goal races that fit with their fitness. If they're behind schedule, they can just pick a different race. (It's a little bit tougher for mid-distance, since those races are mostly available during the college season). Races serve many purposes. Sometimes I race to check my fitness. Sometimes I race as a workout. Sometimes I race to qualify for a bigger race. Sometimes I race for money/gear. Sometimes I want to race against specific people. Sometimes I just want to improve a PR. Sometimes it's just for fun (midnight mile).

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker