Buying Shoes (Read 671 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Just had to share what happened to me yesterday when I went shopping for shoes. I went to the local sports store. I told the lady my "story" - have flat feet, been running in Asics 2120s and 2130s and that my 2120s are like running on bricks and wanting to retire them, etc. Told her I'm not opposed to trying another brand other than Asics, if necessary. So, she hands me a pair of Asics and says "I hear the guys say that this is really comfortable." I look at the price tag and see they are $180. I tell her that I can't justify $180 because I don't put enough mileage on my feet and don't have that in my budget. She smiles and says, "well, there are other choices, let me know when you want to try something on" and walks away! I think I wouldn't have been so annoyed if there was a single other customer in the store. So, instead of getting the socks I wanted there, I left. Went to another store down the block that wasn't necessarily sporting. The guy was very helpful. He even realized that they had a pair of last year (sale!) model shoes in my size. Walked away with socks and Kayano-13s. So, it all worked out, but was like a tale of two experiences. BTW - Zoomie - the shoes I got are orange - you'd love them!

TRUST THE PROCESS

A Saucy Wench

aaahhhh sports stores. I went to a sporting goods store ONCE for running shoes. I rifled through all the models looking for actual running shoes. Then I was trying them on and jumping and running in the aisles. The clerk at the end said...."I think you picked the prettiest pair" Roll eyes

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BTW - Zoomie - the shoes I got are orange - you'd love them!
        Sweet! Man, that stinks that you guys don't have more options for running stores...and with the price of gas it's hard to justify a drive anywhere too far away to get better service. I really can't believe in a college town that you guys don't have at least one good running store. I hope the Kayanos work for you. Seems to be a shoe that works for a lot of people.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hoping to Run Again :-(

So glad to hear you had a good experience after all Kerry! It's astounding the ignorance that's out there mascarading as informed sales people. I went with DH to buy shoes at a "sports store" the other day and was totally shocked at how the sales person couldn't answer my questions and weren't familiar with the specific shoes I was asking about. After all of my complaining on the way to the car, I'm not sure I'm welcome to shoe shop with him any more Big grin Enjoy your new ride!
          ~ Fly ~
          Only as much as I dream can I be.
          veggies on the run
          Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Sweet! Man, that stinks that you guys don't have more options for running stores...and with the price of gas it's hard to justify a drive anywhere too far away to get better service. I really can't believe in a college town that you guys don't have at least one good running store. I hope the Kayanos work for you. Seems to be a shoe that works for a lot of people.
            Zoomie, as you know we don't even have a mall, so I suppose a running store is too much to ask! Sad We even giggle that many of our restaurants are only open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, because no one eats Sunday-Wednesday! The kicker was, the shoes they had were either the cheapies or the real expensive pairs. Didn't have anything in the middle, and I know enough to know that there is a middle!

TRUST THE PROCESS