Why is diet Coke addicting? (Read 2157 times)

I'm trying to quit--REALLY. I've got a three to seven can-a-day habit that's tough to break. For me, it's the tartness of DC that I don't get with iced tea (which I really should be drinking instead). I've got a 'black helicopter' theory on "New Coke". I believe that was about the time Coke switched from cane sugar to HFCS. I believe they used this "Oops! We're really sorry, we'll change it back" moment to do a bait and switch on us. That's my story, anyway. I'm getting away from DC in fits and starts. I became wary of artificial sweeteners when I realized that, at football games in the fall, yellow jackets that normally swarm around cups with "real" Coke, won't have anything to do with Diet Coke. Anecdotal, but it works for me. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I've got a 'black helicopter' theory on "New Coke". I believe that was about the time Coke switched from cane sugar to HFCS. I believe they used this "Oops! We're really sorry, we'll change it back" moment to do a bait and switch on us. That's my story, anyway.
      This is a commonly held belief. If my memory serves me right, it was around 1985. Apparently, Coke already had HFCS in it before this happened, at least in some markets. http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=1256 http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/newcoke.asp

A Saucy Wench

You can buy coke at Costco imported from mexico that still uses all cane sugar and in the cool nostalgic glass longnecks. It's hella expensive though, like $10 an 8 pack or something. I've never liked full sugar coke though. I'd rather drink it than diet when I do want a soda, but I cant handle that much sweet. Sometimes at a bar I'll get 75% seltzer and 25% coke or sprite.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Jazz hands!

You can buy coke at Costco imported from mexico that still uses all cane sugar and in the cool nostalgic glass longnecks. It's hella expensive though, like $10 an 8 pack or something.
          Also, during Passover, all the coke in 2-liter bottles with the yellow caps is made with cane sugar, since HFCS for some reason isn't kosher for passover (Trent?). Sadly, there's no kosher for passover Cherry Coke, and so when I go on my binges (maybe 4 liters a year), it's HFCS all the way. I can't stand any sort of artificial sweetener at all, so I'd rather drink water than Diet Coke.
          run run run AHHHHHH run run run
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Kosher for Passover Coke comes out once per year for about a month leading up to Passover. In some parts of the country it comes in 2 liter bottles, in other parts it comes in cans. I usually buy a little extra Smile MTA: and yes, I can taste a difference; the sugar Coke has a bit sharper and spicier flavor.
            Judit

The Kosher does taste better. Maybe it's Beet Sugar? As far as solving the Diet Coke addiction: I was drinking about 8 Diet Cokes a day and then I started taking 'Diet Kola Capsules' instead... ( dietkola - com ) and now I drink soda water if I need the fizz. Judit
                Funny, I do crave regular Coke when I have an upset stomach. Not a lot, just a little-but it is the only thing that sounds good when I am sick to the stomach.
                Actually, when I was co-assistent (don't know how you call it in the states... the part of your medicine-studies when you're actually working in a hospital/as a doctor) on a pediatric ward, my supervisor tended to 'prescribe' a glass of Coke with a sugar-cube added (to remove the bubbles) for mildly upset stomachs.

Running in Belgium
                Ann

Judit, I never drink diet coke. I tried it one time but it made me sick. I've had soda water but it gives me an upset stomach. I use organic sugar.
                  And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

TJoseph

The Kosher does taste better. Maybe it's Beet Sugar? As far as solving the Diet Coke addiction: I was drinking about 8 Diet Cokes a day and then I started taking 'Diet Kola Capsules' instead... ( dietkola - com ) and now I drink soda water if I need the fizz. Judit
                    Is that like methadone for Diet Coke addicts? A Diet Kola Capsule is not going to quench your thirst.
                      Is that like methadone for Diet Coke addicts? A Diet Kola Capsule is not going to quench your thirst.
                      I agree. I wish you'd quit.
                      And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

flatland mountaineer

I am waiting for the return of the original coke, the pre 1903 version, throw in some HFCS and then you would have somethingWinkWink

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Everybody talks about it like it is. Is it? Why?
                          It's not. I can quit drinking it anytime I want. I just, uh, don't want to. Yeah, that's it.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I'm going to see how bad the addiction is. Starting Monday I'm going start breaking the habit. Going to do this slowly, reducing the number I drink every few days until I reach one. Then switch to a cup of green tea at the start of the work day. Goal is more water and no die coke/pepsi. Have pity on my fellow co-workers.
                            I quit for several months about a year ago. I had to temporarily bump up my coffee and increase my water intake (cold, cold) to get through the first couple weeks. I hardly missed it after that. After a few months, I started drinking it only with lunch and it didn't take long to get back to full blast again (for me this means several cans at work, plus a couple at lunch and then a 2L at home at night). Having said all that, I may join you in breaking the habit.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

If you're having trouble with headaches coming off diet coke, my doc prescribed me superstrength ibuprofen when I quit. I didn't end up needing them, the caffeine withdrawl wasn't bad (I was still drinking coffee then), but just thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck to both of you trying to quit Smile
                              2009 Goals:
                              PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                              Run a 10K
                              Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                              Complete my first Sprint Tri
                                I think all artificial sweeteners can cause a temporary sugar craving as Cheffy has said. But I doubt that is truly addicting the way carbohydrates can be. I have gone through stages in my life where I drank caffeine free diet coke regularly and have had cravings for it after I quit, but I think they were more "taste cravings" than an actual addiction.
                                I don't know, when I gave up diet Pepsi I had full withdrawal symptoms. Headaches, shakes, exhaustion, irritability the whole thang and drinking lattes didn't help. Quitting smoking was actually easier. I vote for Asparatime. It does a lot of stuff to both the brain and hormones.
                                You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here