Complete Beginner Newb Guy (Read 213 times)

JaysinSr

Almost forgot, that one mile hike I do twice a day, I do in 20 mins.  A good paced fast walk.

I still have a long way to go to get my lungs to where they need to be, but it is a steady progression I can see. 

Your lungs are almost certainly where they need to be.  The oxygen is getting from your lungs into your blood just fine, but it's not getting from your blood into your muscles.  When that happens, you feel like you are suffocating for lack of oxygen.

In order to better get oxygen from your blood into your muscles, your body needs to build capillaries and mitochondria.  You do that by lots of walking and slow running.  Slow means slow enough that you can speak in full sentences without straining.

There was a time when I was walking 14 minute miles, and running 15 minute miles.  That lasted about a month, then I was running 14 minute miles.  Now I run 9 to10 minute miles on my easy runs, and 8 minute miles on my tempo runs.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

What JRMichler says is correct. Lungs/Heart adapt to running stress much much faster than the bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Worry about your feet & legs - your lungs and heart will take care of themselves provided there is no specific diseases that target them.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

JaysinSr

Oh wow, that sheds a whole new light on everything.  Thank you both for the info.  So it looks like my morning an evening walks are a step in the right direction.  Should I add distance to them?  And should I add in an afternoon walk?  Lastly, I have stopped all weight training a couple of weeks ago, should I continue with laying off the weights or weight train with lighter weights and increase the reps?  Im really starting to like the freeing feeling of getting out and running/biking.  So I want to do this the right way now.  Again, thank you all for your help!