USATF = Dream Crusher (Read 290 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

That sucks.  I'm glad the issue is getting raised...good to hear a first hand account.  Thanks.

**Ask me about streaking**

USATF does not have enough currency to be petty. A shame.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I have never posted to this forum before, but this is an interesting (sorrry to use that word to describe your disappointment) story. I have been familiar with the USATF for over 20 years, back to when they were called TAC. I think they are probably all involved with the sport for the right reasons, but I don't remember them ever, EVER, bending a rule, even if it makes perfect sense and helps athletes (I'm shocked, incidentally, they did not dq Tyson Gay for this very reason). I don't know if it's fear of making a decision which will get them in trouble, or just the super rule followers who go into track officiating, but I've seen so many examples like this at every level. Hopefully, if nothing else, they could add a rule for the future about replacing scratched individuals with provisional qualifiers. As someone who aspired to just make the championships one day (I did not), just stepping on the track would have been amazing, even on a 100 degree day when a p.r. or Olympic or World Championship berth was not a minute possibility. I get why people who have more advanced goals would have scratched in those conditions--but why not make everyone happy, including the fans who don't want to see 9 professional runners jog around a track at 5 minute pace? I hope you will keep it going for at least another year and make it on the track in 2014.

Feeling the growl again

Any athlete who has had reasonably close involvement with the USATF knows that it is a corrupt and highly political organization...and not about the athletes.

They may not have enough currency to be petty, but they have enough currency to hold their annual meeting in Hawaii and cover expenses for their brass.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Resident Historian

+1 to this.

& never enough to pay athlete's expenses.

Wait. Where have we heard this before?

Oh yeah,  Pre.

The same old shit.

Any athlete who has had reasonably close involvement with the USATF knows that it is a corrupt and highly political organization...and not about the athletes.

They may not have enough currency to be petty, but they have enough currency to hold their annual meeting in Hawaii and cover expenses for their brass.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

And the race was run in 14:54!

No, not 13:54- 14:54.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

GC100k

That sucks.  And not just because Joe is my son's former teammate.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ugh, that's maddening.  My dad is connected to UT men's sports - I bet he's furious.  I'll have to ask him.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I... (I'm shocked, incidentally, they did not dq Tyson Gay for this very reason). ...

Why didn't they? The replay video looked pretty clear.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Crazy.  I don't see a logical reason to exclude any top 20 contenders.  Are they afraid someone unexpected may win?  If so, why is this bad?

Feeling the growl again

Crazy.  I don't see a logical reason to exclude any top 20 contenders.  Are they afraid someone unexpected may win?  If so, why is this bad?

USATF philosophy does not include getting up-and-coming athletes experience to help them get to the next level.  This situation is on par with what they did with the marathon trials several years back and the way they treated B standard athletes.  Their thought process seems to be that if you aren't an eventual medal contender or it is not politically favorable to them to let you in, you should not be there.

Conversely, there are examples of USATF bending the rules for athletes of certain not-to-be-named sponsors who had not hit the posted standards.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Dickerson!  A North Central legend!

Conversely, there are examples of USATF bending the rules for athletes of certain not-to-be-named sponsors who had not hit the posted standards.

I saw this article posted on my coaches Facebook page, and his comments were:

I had hit the "B" qualifying time like Joe--so not a guaranteed spot to race in the10,000 field of (24) but was in the top 20 times.....so I was in the field as of up to 2 days before the USA National Meet. Then USATF in cahoots with NIKE allowed 5-6 Nike Runners who did NOT run a qualifying track time into the race which bumped me out of the top 24. The NIKE guys were out racing on the ROADS for $$$ and "forgot" to get in their qualifying 10,000 track race.

In that same post, Shannon Butler's coach had a similar story in which he wasn't allowed to run the trials, but another guy was despite having a slower time.

And didn't Webb just get in a 5000 that he never should have been in?

It's sad.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Feeling the growl again

Dickerson!  A North Central legend!

I saw this article posted on my coaches Facebook page, and his comments were:

I had hit the "B" qualifying time like Joe--so not a guaranteed spot to race in the10,000 field of (24) but was in the top 20 times.....so I was in the field as of up to 2 days before the USA National Meet. Then USATF in cahoots with NIKE allowed 5-6 Nike Runners who did NOT run a qualifying track time into the race which bumped me out of the top 24. The NIKE guys were out racing on the ROADS for $$$ and "forgot" to get in their qualifying 10,000 track race.

In that same post, Shannon Butler's coach had a similar story in which he wasn't allowed to run the trials, but another guy was despite having a slower time.

And didn't Webb just get in a 5000 that he never should have been in?

It's sad.

I wasn't naming names, but.... Smile

Yes, this was the typical behavior which has been going on for years now.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Is the real argument about the USATF, should we fill the field or abide by the standards and rules?

When I met Lanni Marchant at Tom King, I was unaware of her trials with the Canadians and going to the Olympics. I see some parallels here.

Should we allow the X fastest entries in the trials/championships where X is the fastest people minus those who have scratched?

Or do we only want to allow potential World Champs to run these events?

If we are only looking for potential World Champs, why do we currently contest the men's or women's marathon? Even stranger in the marthon realm in that a 2:46 female is qualifying. That's 20+ minutes out of contention 3/4 minute/mile. I just see it as a strangely arbitrary process and the arguments seem to not support all events the same.

Btw, I don't know that I have an answer here.

I lean towards filling the field with all who want to run assuming they are part of the X fastest. I think that at the very least, it's great experience for the next cycle when they are more in contention as a World Class athlete. I can't see how letting an additional runner adds a financial burden to the USATF. The cost of an extra runner has to be exceedingly nominal. If they run great, then we find a diamond. If they flounder well, even studs have off days and finish up the track.

Under the current rules, don't leave it to chance. There are standards and you must meet them. So therefore Nike, or any monied party should not be able to influence the entry list.

I understand what the rules are, but should we look to change them, can we change them?

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                              Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?