Running in 88 Degree Heat. Any advice? (Read 718 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Wear a heart rate monitor! I ran today in very hot/humid conditions, and after about 8 miles I was feeling pretty tired (and running out of water because I was lost, but that's another story). Anyway I noticed that my heart rate was WAY up, in the 170's, even at a painfully slow pace. That's a pretty certain sign of dehydration and/or overheating. So I slowed way down even more, and it's a good thing that I did. Sure enough, it turned out I was very dehydrated once I finished my run, and needed a large quantity of fluids and salts to get back to normal. Lessons learned: 1) The HRM can tell you that your body is in distress. Believe it--it's not biased or influenced by ego. 2) When in doubt, carry water. My planned 6-miler turned into an 11-miler, and it's a good thing I took a bottle even though I didn't really think I needed it beforehand. I also had an "s-cap" (electrolyte cap). 3) Maybe I should invest in a GPS watch so I don't get lost Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016