Why the Kenyans are so fast (Read 693 times)

C-R

No, I'm fine and happy.  

But anyway, have a nice weekend,.

Most certainly after the next mailings. Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Quote from LedLincoln on 11/13/2013 at 11:13 AM:

(Repost by FlaFooter)   This has been posted before, but bears repeating:  Wikipedia - Crank.

1. Cranks overestimate their own knowledge and ability, and underestimate that of acknowledged experts.
      2. Cranks insist that their alleged discoveries are urgently important.
      3. Cranks rarely, if ever, acknowledge any error, no matter how trivial.
      4. Cranks love to talk about their own beliefs, often in inappropriate social situations, but they tend to be bad listeners, being uninterested in anyone else's experience or opinions.

--  FlaFooter and LedLincoln, I'm glad I saw that post/repost today.  I have run into folks in my lifetime such as we are discussing, and I've never had one simple word to describe them with.  Now I do.  It's just about a perfect summation.   Thank you. :-)    --- Everyone enjoy their weekend! (Even if you are amongst the crowd like me running 20% slower..)  Smile

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Feeling the growl again

(Even if you are amongst the crowd like me running 20% slower..)  Smile

That would be me, except that it can be fully explained by too much beer and does not require ostriches, T-rex's or SJ's mother's vomit.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Or maybe the Kenyans are so fast because they're chasing down and catching goat-eating cheetahs!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-24953910

cheetahs captured after chase

Feeling the growl again

This only exemplifies the common misunderstood difference between speed and endurance.

Or maybe the Kenyans are so fast because they're chasing down and catching goat-eating cheetahs!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Poor kitty!

steph  

GC100k

If the cheetahs spent more time watching ostriches, they could run 20% faster.  Can you tell me how a cheetah can carry a goat that's 20% of its own weight with no increase in energy expenditure?  If you can't, then you are an idiot just like all zoologists.  Why don't cheetahs hunt ostriches?  Why do people raise goats instead of chasing them in the wild?  Why can leopards eat raw goats, but people cook them?  How could T-Rex chase goats while carrying Australian aborigines without changing its toe angles?  If you cannot even explain these things, then you know nothing and are not worthy to talk with me.

This only exemplifies the common misunderstood difference between speed and endurance.

I've said it before; you can only run as fast as your technique will let you. It isn't a question of how much energy you expend to run, but how much energy you waste to run.

Walking and running do not burn the same amount of calories at identical speeds, simply because of the impact forces are greater running than walking. With walking you land with an impact force of twice one's bodyweight (if you're an efficient walker), while running you land with an impact force of minimum four times one's bodyweight.

In no way are the two means of locomotion identical in energy expenditure. If you truly want to be a faster runner, then you'll have to update your educational perspective.

This struck me as a politician's answer: it addressed the question but didn't answer it.

Folks here generally seek to cover a defined distance in the smallest possible increment of time.  They do not care about efficiency.  Not that efficiency is entirely unimportant, mind you.  But it's not the primary goal.  We do not care how much gas is left in the tank at the end of the race.  And overwhelmingly, our races are not so lengthy that making the fuel last is a real issue.

You aren't "translating" why those pesky Kenyan women are relevant to the kind of running we engage in.  Soldiers humping full gear, we see the need for efficiency.  For our activity?  Not so much.  You'd do well to bridge that understanding gap effectively.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If the cheetahs spent more time watching ostriches, they could run 20% faster.  Can you tell me how a cheetah can carry a goat that's 20% of its own weight with no increase in energy expenditure?  If you can't, then you are an idiot just like all zoologists.  Why don't cheetahs hunt ostriches?  Why do people raise goats instead of chasing them in the wild?  Why can leopards eat raw goats, but people cook them?  How could T-Rex chase goats while carrying Australian aborigines without changing its toe angles?  If you cannot even explain these things, then you know nothing and are not worthy to talk with me.

So much to ponder.

Joann Y

That's a lol.

GC100k

With walking you land with an impact force of twice one's bodyweight (if you're an efficient walker), while running you land with an impact force of minimum four times one's bodyweight.

Not even close.

e.g., "The peak amplitude of the vertical reaction force in walking and running increased with speed from approximately 1.0 to 1.5 b.w. and 2.0 to 2.9 b.w. respectively."  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2782094

That's pretty typical, see also

http://demotu.org/pralados60/files/2011/05/Ounpuu94running.pdf

http://www.scribd.com/doc/170004715/Boot-vs-Shing-Aview

Prince of Fatness

Why can leopards eat raw goats, but people cook them?

Not only that, but they eat raw antelopes too.  Antelopes that weigh much more than them.  And they carry them up trees to stash them for later. Why don't humans stash food up in trees?

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

--  FlaFooter and LedLincoln, I'm glad I saw that post/repost today.  I have run into folks in my lifetime such as we are discussing, and I've never had one simple word to describe them with.  Now I do.  It's just about a perfect summation.   Thank you. :-)    --- Everyone enjoy their weekend! (Even if you are amongst the crowd like me running 20% slower..)  Smile

Actually, the medical term for this is : narcissistic personality disorder.

Diagnostic criteria.

five (or more) of the following:

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

(4) requires excessive admiration

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

That's a lol.

still laughing 2 days later!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If the cheetahs spent more time watching ostriches, they could run 20% faster.  Can you tell me how a cheetah can carry a goat that's 20% of its own weight with no increase in energy expenditure?  If you can't, then you are an idiot just like all zoologists.  Why don't cheetahs hunt ostriches?  Why do people raise goats instead of chasing them in the wild?  Why can leopards eat raw goats, but people cook them?  How could T-Rex chase goats while carrying Australian aborigines without changing its toe angles?

Wow.

Mind Blown.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.