Garmin Chipset "G" (Read 931 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have no idea what this replaced, but just installed it on my almost 1 year old Forerunner 305.  My previous 305 was super reliable for about 3 years, until it physically started to fall apart (perhaps it already had chipset G...or I had updated it to G at some point...?).  305 #2 has been a flaky PITA pretty much since day 1.  I think my first one required soft reset maybe once in the first 3 years.  I have had to soft reset the newer one more times than I can count, including today.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have no idea what this replaced, but just installed it on my almost 1 year old Forerunner 305.  My previous 305 was super reliable for about 3 years, until it physically started to fall apart (perhaps it already had chipset G...or I had updated it to G at some point...?).  305 #2 has been a flaky PITA pretty much since day 1.  I think my first one required soft reset maybe once in the first 3 years.  I have had to soft reset the newer one more times than I can count, including today.

How do you update the chipset? Do you mean installed the latest firmware?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

an amazing likeness

Keep in mind that there are 2 sets of firmware in the Forerunner -- the GPS firmware (the rev G you reference here Zoomie), and the device firmware.  The GPS firmware is focused to the GPS chipset, it isn't the firmware running the Forerunner itself. 

I have a couple Forerunner 205 running GPS ver G with no noticable change in reliability versus previous GPS chipset firmware revs.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Keep in mind that there are 2 sets of firmware in the Forerunner -- the GPS firmware (the rev G you reference here Zoomie), and the device firmware.  The GPS firmware is focused to the GPS chipset, it isn't the firmware running the Forerunner itself. 

I have a couple Forerunner 205 running GPS ver G with no noticable change in reliability versus previous GPS chipset firmware revs.

Darn...I was hoping this would make this thing lock in on satellites easier.  It's always been slow.  The other day I had to restart it 4x to get it to sync-up.

BT, when it's on the cradle run the Web Updater program (if you haven't already downloaded it you can get it from Garmin's site).  It will make sure that your Garmin is up-to-date.

So my firmware should be 2.9 and GPS should be 3.0, right?

~ Sarah Kay

Go Pre!

Get the 610. Ye sI know it's pricey - but it works!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If I were to upgrade it would be to the 910 (I'm actually thinking I'll put it on my 2012 Christmas list--perhaps the price will be lower, by then).  That barometric altimeter would be kinda nice on the bike.  I wouldn't have any worries about pedaling through a deluge, which has been known to happen...usually when I am 10 miles from home.

~ Sarah Kay

Go Pre!

Good call!