Twenty-Four Hours (Read 1426 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Preview: Notably, internet running personality Jonathan Savage (fellrnr) will be running for the red-white-n-blue.  Also, notably, Jurek and Doublebock will not. Sad

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

DoppleBock

Dopplebock and Jurek did not earn a spot on the team - Mr Savage did ... along with Mike Morton, Phil McCarthy, Serge Arbona, Joe Fejes, Harvey Lewis.  Joe is on the team because Jon Olsen pulled out with injury - I know Morton, McCarthy and Arbona will be going for it - > 160 miles, meaning at least one will likely fail hard.  That means at least one of Savage, Fejes, Lewis needs to come up big and run > 150 miles to give team USA a 3rd scorer.  All them are capable - But my money is on Savage to shine out of those three ~ Partly because Lewis ran Badwater (Recovery Time) and I do not know how long of Notice Fejes had to prepare as a replacement.

I am a big fan of team USA and  I am looking forward to a great performance from the men and women.

Also notable is that Sabrina Moran is not running as she is getting married.  The women's team is stronger than the men ~ even without her.

Preview: Notably, internet running personality Jonathan Savage (fellrnr) will be running for the red-white-n-blue.  Also, notably, Jurek and Doublebock will not. Sad

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I did not see a log for fellrnr - How has his training been going? 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I did not see a log for fellrnr - How has his training been going? 

He uses DM, and Fitocracy to echo his SportsTrack info.

Here's his wiki.

I find his training dizzying and I'm not a good one to judge it.  He tracks lots of stats (like training monotony), so I'm sure people in The Know would be able to take a quick look at estimate his fitness/training.

Anyway, I wish him luck.  Like you, he also was a Big'n when he started running.  'come a long way, baby.  I think he's got the smoldering fire to really do well in this event -- it's been a goal of his for a while.

DoppleBock

Yes it looks like he is the polar opposite of me as far as training data - I rarely time a run - Just put down a time based on distance and perceived effort, Never take Heart Rate, never log monotony or anything else.

80% of my runs I am not even wearing a watch

80% of my runs I am not even wearing a watch

You should probably record this in your log.  

DoppleBock

Funny - A good example - Tonight I did a small speed work out because I am tapering ... I did 8 miles with 2x1 mile @ perceived 10k pace.  I did not wear a watch - No need to. 

You should probably record this in your log.  

Fejesjoe

That Fejes fella had plenty of notice and time to prepare--I'm just not sure what the old legs can or will do. I am really hoping to step it up but you never know what your gonna get in the 24-- I think that is why I (usually) like the distance so much. Hoping for cool weather, a slow and steady first 16 hours and hell on wheels the last 8.

DoppleBock

Have a great race!

Patience is the key as there will be 1/2 the field that will be rockets.  I ran something like 80 / 74.5 for 1st 12 and 2nd 12 and I think I was in 80th place at 12 hours or 60th - Something big and finished in 12th.

It will be fun! 

That Fejes fella had plenty of notice and time to prepare--I'm just not sure what the old legs can or will do. I am really hoping to step it up but you never know what your gonna get in the 24-- I think that is why I (usually) like the distance so much. Hoping for cool weather, a slow and steady first 16 hours and hell on wheels the last 8.

Fejesjoe

DB-I really appreciate your wisdom and insight--your phenomenal performance at the World's is still being talked about. I will certainly attempt to remain patient although I am sure it will feel like someone strapped a rocket booster to my ass on the starting line! I am already frantic with anticipation but hopefully my anxiety will calm once the race starts. It feels like a college track meet again! Did you taper much the week prior to your 154+ effort? I'm waffling on what/when/and how  to do it for the next two weeks!  Any advice is appreciated.   I hope your training is going strong and look foward to running another ultra with you.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Best of luck, Fejes!

DoppleBock

Looking back at my log ...

Friday May 13th was the race

Th - I logged 4, but it is a lie, Phil and I got lost and ran like 7 miles

W - 5

T - 7

M -Off (Stranded extra day in Detroit)

S - 5

SA - 8/6

Fr - 5/14 with  4 @ T

So the 7 days before the race I put in 57 miles

Prior week 4/29-5/5 - 82 Miles - With 2 good speed workouts

Week before 121 miles -  with 2 good speed workouts

This is a huge taper considering I was doing a lot of 180-240+ mile weeks.  I ran 938 miles in March and 750 in April.  So 57 was maybe a 30-35% week - 82 was a 40-45% week - 121  was a 70% week (Of 180 miles)

The getting lost with Phil cost me a little bit.  The 4 days in Paris pre-race with lots of Drinking and eating cost me a little bit (But my wife was owed a very good time for putting up with me)

About hour 15 or 16 - I was at a low point - Trudging along and then I thought "Smile God Damn it - You are running the World 24 hour race!" - I got a big grin on my face and ran happy and faster the rest of the race ... except the last hour - There was not happiness in the last hour of pushing to max.

Fejesjoe

DB that helps and I will likely follow a similiar taper strategy for the remaining days. For the past few weeks I have been running shorter (7-10 miles) higher quality runs usually two x day with my weekly mileage topping off at 100. By no means your massive mileage but still big numbers for me.  I have focused the past t2 weeks on my weight--dropped 7 pounds--down from 152 to 145 but my f'in bird diet  it has left me feeling weak. I resumed eating regularly yesterday and hope I feel stronger the next few days. I have also been doing speed workouts at the track and feel like I have regained a little legspeed--did a 18:24 5k a couple weeks ago which hurt like hell ha ha!  Thans again for putting me at ease. I am sure I will be hitting you up for morre advice in the coming days.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Keep this conversation going please.  It is fuelling my fire.

To hear Joe Fejes and Mikey Henze talking about how to prep for the Worlds is just stunning.

"I ran 938 miles in March"

DoppleBock

I wold agree - You need to just eat normal and go in strong.  I actually think that 10 days is plenty to eat normal and have your body compensate with nicely recovered and supple muscles.  I like to do light speed work - Only a couple of shorter reps during taper.

If normal is 5x5 minutes @ 30 minute race pace with 5 minute recoveries - I do 2x4 or 3x3 at this pace (Or a tad slower - do not over run pace) with 5 minute recoveries.

or

If you do 5x1 mile at LAT - I would do 2-3x 5 minutes @ LAT

Or

A light Fartlek

Important - Use Dr Lovey - The old man is a mariacle worker - If you have anything naggy when you arrive in poland - As soon as you see him ask him to check you out.  My hip was out of alignment - he could see it 6 feet away.  He can stretch you amazingly.  In the race if you start to get an issue - Do not wait until you cannot run - Let it go from "Nothing" to 50% of something and then have him work on you.  I invested 15 minutes total in France having him stretch me @ 8 hours and the issue never came back.  Warning he is a Doctor and psycologist (Or psychiatrist?)  But he will pump you full of possitive feedback also. 

DB that helps and I will likely follow a similiar taper strategy for the remaining days. For the past few weeks I have been running shorter (7-10 miles) higher quality runs usually two x day with my weekly mileage topping off at 100. By no means your massive mileage but still big numbers for me.  I have focused the past t2 weeks on my weight--dropped 7 pounds--down from 152 to 145 but my f'in bird diet  it has left me feeling weak. I resumed eating regularly yesterday and hope I feel stronger the next few days. I have also been doing speed workouts at the track and feel like I have regained a little legspeed--did a 18:24 5k a couple weeks ago which hurt like hell ha ha!  Thans again for putting me at ease. I am sure I will be hitting you up for morre advice in the coming days.