San Diego Rock n Roll marathon update! (Read 710 times)

My first marathon! Big grin TOday was the big day! I originally registered with a predicted finish time of 3:59:59...that landed me in the 5th time corral out of 22. As training progressed (630.8 miles of training since January, to be exact!), I started to think I could do better...maybe? Then I found out, that to qualify for Boston Marathon, I'd need to finish in 3:45:59. After months of crunching numbers and logging my pace, at 3am this morning, I decided I COULD Boston qualify, right? LOL I would do everything I could. As I stood at the start this morning...wow. So many things brought me to tears...the Marine Corp Band marching in playing, to signal it was time to enter the corrals. Then I stood there, tears streaming down my face, singing with the Star Spangled Banner. As I surveyed my fellow runners, I felt out of place. Listening to people tell of past marathon stories, a couple discussing the iron man they did last week and are headed off to another marathon next weekend...I suddenly felt SO out of place. Then 2 girls stood in front of me and I looked down and they had written on their legs, "Phil 4:13". I quickly raced through my memory verses in my mind and realized it was message for me, right then..."I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." And I was ready. We were off and running. I had to stop and wait for a bathroom at mile 7, eating up precious time but the next 3 miles were up hill and I wanted to be ready. The running Elvis, carrying the 3:45 pace sign was never out of my sight. I was feeling good. By the time I hit mile 11 I was relieved and in my zone at a sub 8min mile pace. My focal point was mile 18 where my gf and her family live...they'd all be out front, along with all of my boys. At mile 15 I was surprised to hear someone shout out my name...it was a Lifeguard Lt. I felt like crying. The course support was AMAZING! The music was a great distraction. I made it to mile 18 and started screaming before I got there, "Where are my boys!?!?" as I ran by giving them high fives, several people in my pack were cheering me on. It was all I needed. I made it over the 2 bridges, past Sea World when I came to a turn around at mile 22. There were incredible atheletes dropping out left and right. I was scared. As I was headed for mile 23, I was in so much pain, but I thought, if I have a chance at Boston, I'm not walking. But if not, I'm easing up. People on the course were yelling, "BOSTON! BOSTON!! You're SUB-3:45" and I was so confused. My Garmin was wonky and lost the signal downtown so at this point it couldn't be trusted, but the course times were gun times and I knew it was over a minute before I made to the start. I just couldn't be sure. So I bucked up and plodded on. I don't remember when my feet/toes started hurting, but they were numb. Suddenly, somewhere in mile 24, I felt this incredible sharp/stabbing/shocking pain go through my toes on my left foot. My right foot was already a wreck. For the first time I stopped...I didn't want to walk any part of the marathon, so I stopped. It took me a good 15 seconds to get moving again and I really wanted to fall down. I plowed through, running on the outside of my heels. Then, heaven sent, there was Mike at the corner of mile 25. OMG. Just what I needed. I could do this. I hit mile 26. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/lifesabeach/26.jpg At 26.1 I knew I would finish. Suddenly, I was sobbing, with my hands over my face as the announcer cheered me on, "You're gonna do it! You're there! You finished!" I threw my hands up high, smiled for the camera and crossed the finish. 3:48:54...just 3 minutes shy of qualifying for Boston, but 11 minutes faster than I predicted at the beginning. and if you've read this far, you deserve a medal too! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/lifesabeach/postraceorange.jpg

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...look how beautiful you are--even after running a marathon and with an orange wedge shoved in your mouth! Big grin You did good! I'm so proud of you! Smile And you say you're a mom?! You don't look like you've carried any babies--your bod looks amazing...I hope I can someday get mine looking even half that fit (I'll never be that tanned, I've accepted that, LOL)! BTW, I love your visor--I have it in pink and it really works well to keep the sun and sweat out of my eyes. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I looked back at your first post regarding what's a realistic goal for your first marathon, and you said you "reeeeeally" want to get below 3:50. We're all very proud that you accomplished what you set out to do. Congratulations! You did awesome!!! And thanks for a great race report. I felt like I was there in person! Now you can kick back and relax. You've earned it!
          Great report, great race! And well done on coming in below your predicted time. You should be very pleased with your efforts. As for Boston--it's not a question of "if", only a question of "when". Very few runners BQ in their first marathon, and for you to come so near is quite impressive. Again--loved the report, and congrats! (So--what's your next race?)
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Wow! Big grin What a great job, what a great race! Congratulations!

Roads were made for journeys...

Ahhh...look how beautiful you are--even after running a marathon and with an orange wedge shoved in your mouth! Big grin You did good! I'm so proud of you! Smile And you say you're a mom?! You don't look like you've carried any babies--your bod looks amazing...I hope I can someday get mine looking even half that fit (I'll never be that tanned, I've accepted that, LOL)! BTW, I love your visor--I have it in pink and it really works well to keep the sun and sweat out of my eyes. Smile k
              thank you! I love my visor! I have it in black but decided to go with a new outfit on race day...I know, NOTHING NEW! but I had the same outfit in black so I was sure I could pull it off. Clowning around and yes, I've had 4 children...BOYS!!! ANd I'm still nursing my 3 yo. How's that for TMI? Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

Great report, great race! And well done on coming in below your predicted time. You should be very pleased with your efforts. As for Boston--it's not a question of "if", only a question of "when". Very few runners BQ in their first marathon, and for you to come so near is quite impressive. Again--loved the report, and congrats! (So--what's your next race?)
                thank you so much for the encouragement. Blush My next race...I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the America's Finest City Half Marathon Aug 20. Last year I was a basket case. This year, I'm hoping to beat my time by coming in at 1:50 or less. Cool

Jennifer mm#1231

vicentefrijole

Excellent race report... I like the inclusion of pictures! You looked strong at mile 26 (even if you didn't feel it)! Nice job and awesome finish time... you'll be a "BQer" soon enough!
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

and yes, I've had 4 children...BOYS!!! ANd I'm still nursing my 3 yo. How's that for TMI? Big grin
                    That's great--I'll bet he's a healthy little rascal! And your risk of breast cancer is probably greatly reduced, too! If my son hadn't had latching issues (I ended up pumping for a year, so less than one can of formula in that time, which I'm quite proud of) I have a feeling we would have gone for at least 2 years. 4 boys...ack! One is MORE than enough for me. Several people have joked that I got 2 kids for the price of one with Dane. Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay