added public/private map (Read 1813 times)

eric :)

Hi guys, I just added public/private map support. On the map toolbar, there is now a new check box to control the map's access. To prevent other users from viewing your map, just check this check box. If you don't feel like sharing any of your new maps, there's a new option in your log preferences that you can enable to default all new maps to be private. Here are some things you should know. If you search for maps, your private maps will always be listed, but will not be listed for other users. Right now, all maps are public, because I want everyone to share their maps. If you don't want others to see your maps, just edit each one and check the private check box. Make sure you save the change. I also added an URL field, right above the notes field. This URL applies to all workouts and events. I also added a running total for the intervals data. Let me know if you run into any problems with the latest changes. Once again, I like to thank Trent for his help and feedbacks. eric Smile

Eric,

My maps are defaulting to public even though I have my preference set to keep them private.

Also, is there any way to do a bulk change to update all the previous maps to private?

If maps are being defaulted to being publicly viewable, it would be nice if the checkbox on the map screen would default to being checked.  I still go back once a week or so and check that week's checkboxes to ensure the map is viewable.

an amazing likeness

I hope you all realize this is a topic from 2006.  The public/private map option was released in 2006.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I do realize it.  But I noticed a recent response, so thought I would add my own comment.  It seems that even though the maps are marked globally to be public, unless the individual map is marked as public it is still not available to be seen.  At least I think this is the behavior I witnessed.

kmalsom,

The checkbox you're referring to in your log preferences reads "Keep my new maps private unless I explicitly allow them to be public".  It does not affect existing maps.  Maybe we're less concerned about privacy now but many users were uncomfortable with the idea when maps became publicly viewable years ago.  Allowing a single checkbox to control map access can be dangerous since a user can inadvertently reveal her home address.  It is by design that you have to individually set existing maps to be private/public.

eric Smile

If maps are being defaulted to being publicly viewable, it would be nice if the checkbox on the map screen would default to being checked.  I still go back once a week or so and check that week's checkboxes to ensure the map is viewable.

I have a feeling you're talking about something else.  Could you elaborate?

eric Smile

We may be talking at cross purposes.  As you say, the option reads: "Keep my new maps private unless I explicitly allow them to be public."  It is unchecked.

By "map" do you mean the newly uploaded workout which references a location, or a course that has been input previously and is selected from the dropdown for the new workout?

an amazing likeness

RVDowling -- Map means the GPS track from your device which is uploaded as part of the workout.  The second tab in the workout details page. (Summary, MAP, Graphs) Not course, or map associated with a course.

When the  "Keep my new maps private unless I explicitly allow them to be public." is Checked -- the map correct, has the "Publicly Viewable Map" UNchecked.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

And likewise, when the  "Keep my new maps private unless I explicitly allow them to be public." is UNchecked -- the map has the "Publicly Viewable Map" Unchecked also

kmalsom,

The checkbox you're referring to in your log preferences reads "Keep my new maps private unless I explicitly allow them to be public".  It does not affect existing maps.  Maybe we're less concerned about privacy now but many users were uncomfortable with the idea when maps became publicly viewable years ago.  Allowing a single checkbox to control map access can be dangerous since a user can inadvertently reveal her home address.  It is by design that you have to individually set existing maps to be private/public.

eric Smile

Eric,

My issue is that I have the check in "Keep my new maps private unless I explicitly allow them to be public".  However, whenever I upload a new workout, I have to go in and uncheck the box that says "publicly viewable map".  I didn't realize it was doing this, and I'm not sure when it started.  So there are really two issues for me. 1. The setting to keep them private isn't working and 2. I have a lot of publicly viewable maps that I would like to make private, but don't want to have to open each one individually.

Thanks for your help. Smile

-Kari