Can't talk, watching... (Read 826 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

the Keynote at Macworld...
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*sits at Steve Job's feet* Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I didn't think you ate fast food, much less McDonald's.

JakeKnight

Dorks of America - unite!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

All that hype and he announces a thin laptop?
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

a thin laptop?
              Sleek computer. Cheap with a hard drive, pricey with the solid state drive. NO optical drive. You wanna watch your DVD? Too damn bad. You wanna burn a CD? Sorry. You can either suck it up and buy the external optical drive OR you can buy the Time Capsul $300 backup device (which is pretty cool) OR you can buy stuff from iTunes, even if you already own a DVD. Suck it up I guess. But pretty sleek lookin.
              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

NO optical drive. You wanna watch your DVD? Too damn bad. You wanna burn a CD? Sorry.
                This is clearly not intended as a desktop replacement. It's perfect for someone like me who already has a desktop and a cloud of servers and just needs a highly portable window into that world. The only time I would watch a movie on a laptop would be while traveling, in which case I would just rip the DVDs at home instead of carrying them around with me. And if I didn't already own the DVD, then there's no reason not to buy/rent it over iTunes. And backing up data on CD? How primitive. All the data I care about is out on the internet somewhere. Photos on flickr, documents on backpack, correspondence in gmail, contacts in facebook. Even my financial records are safely encrypted and stashed away elsewhere on the net. I have local copies of all these things, but I view the local copy as the backup, not the other way around. Sun got it right: "the network is the computer." They were just a little too early to get rich off the idea. And people who don't/can't want to work this way can still go buy a regular macbook.
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, but I am not always near a wireless network, and a lot of the time I have to pay for it (like in the airports and many hotels). And a lot of the hotels and meetings I go to still have ethernet connections only. So I'd be SOL. About getting a regular macbook, that is true, but they weight a load more and are much bigger. I want small and occasionally I need my wires and drive. Also, if you want to use Time Machine to back THIS baby up, you will also need to buy Time Capsule. More money...
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yeah, but I am not always near a wireless network, and a lot of the time I have to pay for it (like in the airports and many hotels). And a lot of the hotels and meetings I go to still have ethernet connections only. So I'd be SOL.
                    There is an ethernet adapter if you need one. And I thought I read something about being able to wirelessly share the optical drive from another computer (Mac or PC). (Of course, this doesn't help if your not near a wireless network). Remember how crazy it seemed when the iMac first came out, and didn't have a floppy drive? Doesn't seem so crazy now. As for DVD's, you could exercise your Fair-Use rights on your DVD and use Mac The Ripper or Handbrake to make a copy put your legally purchased movie into a format that is iPod and/or hard drive compatible. I think this is a fantastic product. 2 gripes -- a) agree that it should have an ethernet jack. b) too bad it doesn't have WiMAx or some other way to access the internet when not near a wireless network. Since I'm not on the market for a notebook, I'm actually more excited about the AppleTV upgrade, which will allow for rentals directly from the unit in HD.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, sure, an ethernet adaptor. Just one more thing to lug around Wink I DO like the iTouch update. It is almost a PDA now. I just need a couple of medical webaps and I'm set.
                        I'm not saying this laptop doesn't have its place. I just don't think its an earth-shattering announcement. Jobs tends to act like he's presenting a cure for cancer when he shows a new Ipod that is 1/100th of an inch thinner than your now obselete 3 month old one. We get it man, you guys design pretty products. A thin laptop is just not that amazing.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oooh oooh, just checked. Here is what it says over at epocrates (the PDA app I use the most at work) Thank you for your interest in using Epocrates mobile products on the iPhone. Currently, it is not possible to download our PDA applications onto your iPhone. However, Apple recently announced that it will make software available in early 2008 so that developers can begin to create applications that can be downloaded onto the iPhone and run without an Internet connection. We are excited about the opportunity to offer our mobile products on the iPhone platform and look forward to receiving the Software Developer's Kit when it becomes available. In the meantime, if you are interested in accessing our drug content on your iPhone/iPod touch, you can access our free Online reference via the Safari browser. Simply go to m.epocrates.com.
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm not saying this laptop doesn't have its place. I just don't think its an earth-shattering announcement. Jobs tends to act like he's presenting a cure for cancer when he shows a new Ipod that is 1/100th of an inch thinner than your now obselete 3 month old one. We get it man, you guys design pretty products. A thin laptop is just not that amazing.
                            None of his announcements are ever that earth-shattering, but it's his capability to sell it as such that is one of his gifts. I am impressed that they made a notebook half the thickness of the current thinnest. That is a big deal. Agree that it's not earth-shattering, but pretty impressive. Myself, I'd still go with a Macbook. Like having my ethernet and firewire ports.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I do happen to like the Time Capsule. Of course, with 10.5, the Airport Express drives did not work with Time Machine. One wonders whether this was so they could sell more product once Time Capsule came out. Also, I am really hating my Comcast On Demand, both its horrible interface and its non-dis-reliability. The new iTV and iTunes make me wonder whether I should just dump the whole thing...