Complete noob (Read 1122 times)

meaow

I have never ran before, went on the occasional jog and felt like i was going to die.

I am in no way overweight 19 female 5'10 and 147lbs.

I do bike rides occasionally and am learning to snowboard, thats the extent of my exercise.

Need to get fit, so could somebody outline a plan for me please ? Or give me some tips.

I can work out any day, for as long as needed.

Thanks Smile

#artbydmcbride

Run (jog) for 4 minutes, walk for 1 minute, run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute, repeat for 3 miles.   Do this every other day.

after 2 months of this, try running for 10 minutes, then walk 1 minute etc. 

Check back regularly (at least every week) and let us know how it is going.   We'll give advice from your feedback.   Smile   Some will be helpful.

Runners run

meaow,

thats about as good as any advice you are going to get-close to perfect.  now just get out there & do it!

run or jog slowly. Most noobs run far too fast when they decide to give running a try.....I did. If you can't hold a conversion comfortably while running, you're going to hard.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

DoppleBock

When I 1st started - I had a nice 4 mile loop.  I would jog until I felt like walking then walk till I felt like jogging.  I did this 5-6 days a week.  If I felt like walking th ewhole thing once a week that was fine.  It started with about 2 blocks of jogging then 2 blocks of walking - repeat.  I just slowly worked it to running the whole way.  After I could run the whole way - Once per week I would go further and Once a week I would do it a bit faster.

The 1st few months - keep the pace easy - Better to jog futher than faster.  After that add 1 faster day a week.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Troy.

When I started running, my approach for each run was to make sure I would be able to run the next day--that usually meant running at a slower pace than I was capable of, and it usually meant running a shorter distance than I was capable.

I think new runners often make the mistake of running too far or too fast (or both), but the most important thing when you're beginning running is developing consistency.

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

When I started running, my approach for each run was to make sure I would be able to run the next day--that usually meant running at a slower pace than I was capable of, and it usually meant running a shorter distance than I was capable.

I think new runners often make the mistake of running too far or too fast (or both), but the most important thing when you're beginning running is developing consistency.

Wow, I'm impressed. Not too many people would take that approach. Most go out and try to run faster and/or farther than they did the day or week before.  That was me... when I was 16. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And trying to avoid injury

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

DoppleBock

And get hooked on the endorphins

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Roadrunner's Apprentice

I followed the Couch to 5K interval training program when I decided to take up running (late 2010), having done nothing before.  It's a gradual buildup over 9 weeks where you run 3X per week.  It brings you to the goal of running 30 minutes without stopping, and from there 5K is within reach.

For me the intervals worked.  Week 5-6 was a big transition where I needed to learn to slow down, but the pace picked up over the following 6 months keeping at it.

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...

meaow

Checking in Smile, i have started jogging at least every other day and have built up to about 10 mins jogging , walking for about 5 and repeating this for 40/60 mins. Feels good! Thanks for all of your help .Hopefully will be running soon.

Wing

Joggaholic

Checking in Smile, i have started jogging at least every other day and have built up to about 10 mins jogging , walking for about 5 and repeating this for 40/60 mins. Feels good! Thanks for all of your help .Hopefully will be running soon.

+ 1

That's way better than when I started Smile