Looking for a back up race. (Read 774 times)

Now that was a bath...

I think that there is a reasonable chance that I won't get to waiheke with this injury. Rather than be depressed I decided to try to find another race in the events diary that might suit and I ended up really excited. This could be an ideal replacement if my injury takes longer to heal...http://www.totalsport.co.nz/events/coastal/event_pics.php It's described as a coastal adventure where you get to the finish line any way you can. Swim, run, rock-hop, wade, jump, crawl - there's really only one rule - No roads allowed! I'd be looking at doing the 11K (there are also 30K, 22K, 16K and 6K options) and it's on the 17th March. It's run at high tide so that you get to run thorugh the sea too and you can swim parts of it if you want! That's got to ruin your shoes! I like the look of it a lot though. In fact I like it so much I might just run it even if I am good for Waiheke. March is early Autumn here so the water will have quite a kick to it! I realised too that there are some incredible races available to me here in NZ. I'd love to do this one next year... http://www.thegoat.co.nz/tongariro/ And this marathon looks a whole heap more exciting than the Auckland marathon that I set as my original goal... http://www.iconicadventures.co.nz/Motatapu/Gallery/gallery.asp?GalleryID=4 This doesn't look too ugly either... http://www.coolrunning.co.nz/races/charlotte/ I like the look of this one but it's a plane ride away for me... http://www.paardekooper.co.nz/commInvolv/mtlyford.htm The iconic adventures marathon though might just blow the Auckland marathon out of the window for me! I want a piece of that! Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
      Wow! Shocked Am I jealous or what? Most of my races are run through cornfields or city streets. Those races look amazing. I think we should all go down to NZ and run with Claire! Wink Teresa (Wondering how much a plane ticket to NZ might be? Hmmm.....)
        First amazing health care, now fantastic races, and it's a beautiful place too... OK, I am moving to NZ. Ewa
        I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
        bas

Amazing! I think you can start a runner's travel agency! BTW, Paardekoper means 'horse trader' and Kikker vijver means 'frog pond'. Just in case you would like to know Smile bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Now that was a bath...

That's interesting Bas - I guess that they are Dutch then! Hey does anyone have any experience of running through water. Obviously my shoes would be damaged by several of these events, salt water damages fabric really easily, but I wondered how tough it will be on my feet to be running thorugh water several times on an 11K run. Jake, you're a military man, you must know! I figured that my new shoes will be at the end of their life by March so I can kiss them goodbye with the coast race. This is day six of not running for me. It's driving me mad. Hubby is on his way home from work early (it's lunchtime) and we are going to hit the beach. That should cheer me up a bit. Maybe I can try running in the sea and get my knee a gentle work out. Claire xxx
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is day six of not running for me. It's driving me mad. Hubby is on his way home from work early (it's lunchtime) and we are going to hit the beach. That should cheer me up a bit. Maybe I can try running in the sea and get my knee a gentle work out. Claire xxx
              What about sex? Good for you, good for hubby! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

RunningHammer

First amazing health care, now fantastic races, and it's a beautiful place too... OK, I am moving to NZ. Ewa
                ...don't forget the volcanoes and earthquakes Wink
                  Well, I am from CA so while we don't have too many active volcanoes we shake occasionally. So the question is do I rather put up with volcanoes or lousy health care? Ewa
                  I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

You'll ruin your knees!

That's interesting Bas - I guess that they are Dutch then! Hey does anyone have any experience of running through water. Obviously my shoes would be damaged by several of these events, salt water damages fabric really easily, but I wondered how tough it will be on my feet to be running thorugh water several times on an 11K run. Jake, you're a military man, you must know! I figured that my new shoes will be at the end of their life by March so I can kiss them goodbye with the coast race. This is day six of not running for me. It's driving me mad. Hubby is on his way home from work early (it's lunchtime) and we are going to hit the beach. That should cheer me up a bit. Maybe I can try running in the sea and get my knee a gentle work out. Claire xxx
                    Many of the trail races offer "water crossing" opportunities. I have run races where my feet stayed wet for 6+ hours without problems. I would recommend the Smartwool socks (finding wool in NZ might be a problem, ya think???), as they perform quite well in adverse conditions. As for the shoes, I wouldn't worry too much about them, just take care to let them dry out after the event. If salt water is involved, I would recommend rinsing them in fresh water thoroughly and then allowing them to day...stuffed with newspaper, not in direct sunlight should do the trick. Based on some of the previous posts about running in the rain, sounds like others like getting wet (as do I)... Good luck with it and keep us posted. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Now that was a bath...

Hey the volcanos just make you run faster! Thanks for the advice Lynn. I'll find a sheep and knit some socks then! I'm glad to have a new goal in sight because I can feel Waiheke slipping away day by day. Today (day 7 without running) - my limp is worse and simple things like carrying my girls to bed have become impossible. The additional weight on my knee is agony. I am starting to get scared that the worst case scenario they gave me at physio might be true - that I have a meniscal tear. I am trying to stay optimistic as they told me that cartilege is not a good healer, so it could still just be bruised and swollen. I am eating ibuprofen like sweets and resting as much as possible. Due to the Christmas break my next physio appoinment is on Wednesday and I can't use the gym either. Maybe it's good I rest me knee properly for a few days any how. By some irony I was looking at a photo on my phone this morning from yesterday and showed it to my husband. he pointed out that the land you can see beyond the sea is Waiheke. Glad I didn't know that yesterday, it would have made me mad or sad. Here's hubby and Scarlett on the beach at Maraetai looking out at Waiheke. I tell you what. Even if I don't get to run it in January, I am going to run this race one day. Maybe i'll wait for next year and run the 25K. Kirsten - I'm trying! Big grin Claire xxx
                        That sucks about your knee. I didn't realize your injury was that significant. You've got a great attitude. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's not a tear. On the other hand, a blanket on a beach isn't a bad place to nurse an injury. I'd gladly switch places with you, at least location. Although, we're not having much of a Winter yet, there's gray skies outside & 100% chance of heavy rain for tomorrow. I'd rather be wearing sunscreen than a raincoat anyday.

You'll ruin your knees!

Claire, Hey, I believe you can easily go three weeks without running and have no loss of fitness. The pain you are describing sounds pretty serious. Best of luck with it. Take care on the ibupro, as it can create other issues with your stomach and liver. It would be advisable to switch between different types of anit-inflamatories to help avoid any ill effects. There will be other races, take care of your knee and try not let it spoil your holiday! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

bas

We want you to get back to running again, so don't run too much just yet! Wink Please take your time and take it easy. I understand that's against your nature, but still... If you treat yourself well you are going to run all those races you planned, and many more! Did you consider running through water as a therapy? I don't think that would help. Water = more resistance = harder work for your legs. bas

Now that was a bath...

Bas - harder work for your muscles but less pressure on the damaged cartilege and knee. The physio advised it, but I haven't managed it yet anyhow. My knee feels much better today. I can't wait for physio in two days, I hope they tell me I can run again! Lynn - wise words as always. I've actually stopped taking the ibuprofen today as the pain is so much better. I've learnt a lot from this injury. I've learnt how much I love to run (boy i've missed it). i've learnt a little about patience and i've learnt to listen to my body better. All great experience for a newbie. And you're right - there will be plenty more races. Claire xxx
                              bas

Bas - harder work for your muscles but less pressure on the damaged cartilege and knee.
                                Ok! Good luck with your recovery. bas