My left hand and forearm went numb during a long run (Read 598 times)

Junior Amphibian

It never happened to me before and was totally bizarre. I did my 7 miles today (which is the longest I've run in months) and after 6 miles I noticed that my left hand feels kinda "electric". I thought nothing about it until I finished the run and saw that while my right hand was fairly warm, the left hand was literally freezing and I could barely move it. Shocked Now it's 3 hours later and while my hand feels much better, it's still slightly tingly. The weather was relatively cold (15F, -10C) but I've run in colder conditions, although not for such a long time. The way I figure, there are several possible reason for this: 1) Blood clot - the scariest possiblity but I'm only 38 and I haven't noticed any other symptoms 2) Injured elbow tendon - I've pulled my elbow about a month ago and now it gives me some trouble 3) Forerunner strap too tight - combined with cold weather, it might have cut off the circulation 4) My arms were clenched too tight during the run - but this doesn't explain why the right one felt fine I'm really perplexed. This this ever happen to anyone else? Confused

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

This has happened to me before, too, and I thought it was because the underarmour shirt I had on was really tight in one arm (got it on clearance, I think it's mishapen!). I hadn't even considered these other scarier options, but while it has happened to me a few times in that same shirt it has never happened in the warm weather.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Go see your doctor. On the list of things this could be are such diseases as heart attack, arrhythmia and blood clot. All of these can kill next time. Go see your doctor.
          That's happened to my left arm occasionally too and it was because my MP3 arm strap was a little tight. 5f you think you're clenching your fists while running, try just lightly touching your thumb & forefinger together instead because it will help prevent you tensing. You should definitely see your doctor though just in case. Nothing puts a stop to your training regime like sudden death or impairment.... Undecided