The Olympics random thoughts thread (may contain spoilers) (Read 1309 times)

HobbyJogger & HobbyRacer

Did I see a guy's javelin land past the yellow line? Is that the WR line?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

That's a caution line- you're not supposed to throw past that, lest you spear one of the 5k finalists.

I like running alone.

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Okay, I don't own a TV.  But a friend moved in down the street.  So today, after my 20mi, I went over to watch . . . Gymnastics with a ball or clubs, "free-style" wresting w/o any cool masks, and Women's basket-ball.  Wow, talk about boring (not that women's BBall is boring, but dominating France is boring -- of course, I left after it started, so who knows).

2014 Goals:  sub-3 Marathon 

Current Status 06/19: Pelvic stress-fracture = 6-weeks of no running.

HobbyJogger & HobbyRacer

...  Wow, talk about boring (not that women's BBall is boring, but dominating France is boring -- of course, I left after it started, so who knows).

So you completely missed the part where one of the players brought a javelin and threw it past the yellow line...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Seemed like nearly all the runners in the men's 5k were wearing the same style of Nikes?

Kerry

HF #1048

Concept2 - Marathons Rowed April & May 2013

4 x 100 new world record.  USA gave it a great run, but nobody beats Bolt.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.

4 x 100 new world record.  USA gave it a great run, but nobody beats Bolt.

Bolt sure is fast, but he could use a dose of humility. 

Bolt sure is fast, but he could use a dose of humility. 

He can't seem to find anything to be humble about.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.

Great showing by Meb!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Interval Junkie --Nobby

He certainly looked happier than the 3rd placer.

I got a bit worried when he picked up the flag and the Brazilian guy looked like he was right behind him.

2014 Goals:  sub-3 Marathon 

Current Status 06/19: Pelvic stress-fracture = 6-weeks of no running.

Little surprised to see Gillis finish ahead of Coolsaet for the Canadians in the marathon.

"Don't feel like running today...suck it up and run ...you're an athlete." (John Stanton, founder & owner of The Running Room)

"The person who starts the race is not the same person who finishes the race."

Imminent Catastrophe

Meb is the man!

as for Ryan and Abdi...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Tahoe Rim Trail 100M 20/21 July 2013

Boston Marathon 21 April 2014

Tahoe Rim Trail 100M 19/20 July 2014

I got a bit worried when he picked up the flag and the Brazilian guy looked like he was right behind him.

It did kinda look like Dos Santos saw an opportunity for a sucker pass there and decided not to do it since it still wouldn't have meant a medal, but who knows?

I literally don't care that I use the word literally incorrectly.

EbonyN

Malletgirl02

Did anyone else get a chance to see the 5,000m men's heats on the NBC live feed on line? I saw Mo Farah help the last place finisher in his heat get up after the race. Mo Farah is already awesome, but I think he is even more awesome in that moment.'

Meb is the man!

as for Ryan and Abdi...

Neither blew up.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus