2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

Cheers for doing the sub three thread for 2012, Clive, much apprechiated!

Can you put me down for the Milton Keynes Marathon, 29th of April 2012, UK, Sub 2:50

Cheers!

Cheers for doing the sub three thread for 2012, Clive, much apprechiated!

Seriously.. this is such a good thread for many reasons.

Im on the fence and kind of leaning to not doing a 2012 marathon. Early May would be the only target date for the year in which I would have time to do the training and run the race. The goal would be sub 240, I think Im at 245 right now. Just not sure if there is time to chop 5 min off.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I've developed a little runner's knee on my right knee.  It hurt a little the last two days and I only made it 400m before calling it quits today.  I'm going to take a day or two off.  I know i'll be ok...i know i'll be ok...i know i'll be ok...Undecided

PS My wife is already annoyed with me because i have way to much energy today. 

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

xhristopher

Oh, good grief! If I can sort things out with my dumb leg I plan to go at it again in the fall, probably in NYC. Otherwise you might as well count me in for the 2013 sub 3 thread.

MTA: Thanks Clive.

Oh, good grief! If I can sort things out with my dumb leg I plan to go at it again in the fall, probably in NYC. Otherwise you might as well count me in for the 2013 sub 3 thread.

MTA: Thanks Clive.

What's wrong with the leg anyway?

It's attached to xhristopher.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Ran 1 mile today.  Knee is much better...but still having the worst time in the world with having too much energy. 

Planning on 5 tomorrow and go from there.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Feeling the growl again

PS My wife is already annoyed with me because i have way to much energy today. 

Running is an addiction as bad as any other.  Take it away from someone, and you'd better stay away for a month.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

What's wrong with the leg anyway?

It's attached to xhristopher.

Yup. That bout sums it up.

The longer answer is, well, I'm not really sure. Though my compartment syndrome test came back negative the DR hasn't ruled it out and has mentioned the possibility of needing a fasciotomy. If we ever get to that I won't be rushing into it. My next visit to talk about how the running is going is in two weeks. I'm sure it won't shed any new light on the issue. Five months off from running didn't clear the problem. It does seem better but I can't really do any meaningful training w/o too many issues coming on. 

Columbia Marathon - 3/10 - Sub 2:55

Registered and after today's 1:21:30 half on a similiar course, I should be good to go if train properly. 

Go ahead and add me for Napa Valley Marathon on March 4th.  I had originally planned on trying to go for a PR as my first Masters age race, but I've decided to rest my Achilles the rest of 2011 and start back up slowly.  I've already signed up for the race, so if I feel ok at the time I might help a friend of mine try and get her first sub 3.  She's went 3:01 in '09, so she's REALLY close, assuming she can stay healthy.

Yup. That bout sums it up.

The longer answer is, well, I'm not really sure. Though my compartment syndrome test came back negative the DR hasn't ruled it out and has mentioned the possibility of needing a fasciotomy. If we ever get to that I won't be rushing into it. My next visit to talk about how the running is going is in two weeks. I'm sure it won't shed any new light on the issue. Five months off from running didn't clear the problem. It does seem better but I can't really do any meaningful training w/o too many issues coming on. 

I asked because at one point I thought you mentioned in originated in the shin area.  I have dealt with chronic "shin" pain since 2010.  I tried everything I read to get rid of it, two months of rest, ice, changing inserts, thera-band exercises targeting the muscle groups, massage, rollers, etc.  Finally it went away without me really knowing what fixed it.  It magically came back in April of 2011.  This time, I took less rest (5 days over 3 weeks).  I still stretched and iced, but continued to run.  I had a few runs where it felt like every fiber in my lower leg was shredding away from the insertion point and pain was close to a 10/10. My ankle/shin during this time was swollen at least 3/4 of an inch beyond the normal diameter.

After a few really brutal runs I was amazed at how quickly things turned around.  I could speculate that active recovery helped bring blood to the damaged tissues , but who the hell knows.  I certainly don't advocate "running through it" as the first resort, but when nothing else works, you may have to ask what do I have to lose.

MTA:  I saw multiple Docs for this, diagnoses ranging from compartment syndrome, stress fracture to Anterior Tibial tendonitis.  Final diagnosis was tendonitis and some tearing of connective tissue securing muscle/tendons in place.  I am still convinced it was effect of form and anatomy issues....

Sign me up for NY if I don't miss the registration...

Does anybody knows when it usually opens ?

Sign me up for NY if I don't miss the registration...

Does anybody knows when it usually opens ?

The race people know.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau