First Half Marathon tomorrow (Read 247 times)

Latent Runner

Well said kercan, I met a fellow runner at a 5-Miler this Summer, she was 70 years old, the picture of health, and logged a thirty-eight-something finishing time.  She's my new role model.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Well said kercan, I met a fellow runner at a 5-Miler this Summer, she was 70 years old, the picture of health, and logged a thirty-eight-something finishing time.  She's my new role model.  Smile

My father in law is old (upper 60s anyway).  He never had any interest in being active.

Many years ago, I started running.  A couple years ago, he started running because of me.

He doesn't run many races, but he has run 26+ miles to prove to himself (and me, I guess) that he can.

He caught the activity bug.

My son is 20 and a junior in college.  He loved team sports, but never played past 8th grade.

He's only run a couple races (longest is 15k).

This fall, he's taking a marathon class at his university, and will run a marathon in December.

He caught the bug.

My nephew is 12.  He ran a large 1/2 marathon this spring (mini Indy) in a time that was only 2 minutes slower than my PR for a half marathon.

My cousin is both legally blind and deaf.  A few months ago, I facebooked a link to him of an Ironman athlete who was both blind and deaf.  That community is relatively small, and he knew him personally.  My cousin got excited, started running, and ran his first 1/2 marathon a few weeks ago.  That's badass!  He wants to do more.

My brother in law and sister in law ....

These stories within my relatively small family goes on and on.

Activity is a lifestyle.  When presented properly to those we suround ourselves with, they want what we have.

It's fun watching people attain what they once thought was impossible (or reserved for others who were 'athletic').

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Latent Runner

Wow, lots of inspiring folks in your family; thanks for sharing!  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

I'm sure many families have these types of stories.
          I'm sure many peoples' social networks have these types of stories.

And that's what makes running such a great sport.

(I didn't post it to be about my family)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Latent Runner

(I didn't post it to be about my family)

No worries, I liked the stories regardless.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Nana_

Worn slick but finished under my 3:00 goal with 2:44. I know that sound obscenely slow, but I ran the whole time. Next to childbirth, hardest thing I've ever done. And like post childbirth, give me a little time before asking if I want to do it again.

Shipo - hope it went well for you and your wife.

Congrats, Speedy!

Great training and racing :-)

I have my first HM coming up soon and, well, slow is relative...you are faster than I am

Nice to see my age-mates on here.  Are you all in the 50's forum already?

click here for the 50's forum here on RA

Latent Runner

Hey Jo (isn't that a title of a song?),

Are you planning on running a 10K prior to your Half?

I'm guessing probably not given you're only two weeks out from your first Half.

I am a member of the "50 and over 5K and beyond" group, however, I haven't been very active over there since, I don't know, maybe March.  I've participated in eleven races since then ranging from a 2-Miler (my first since 1975) to my first Half Marathon this last weekend, and had four legs of a Freestyle RTB - NH team totalling up to 28.9 miles added into the mix.

Fat old man PRs:

I just love hearing all the stories. For me, I hope to keep running as part of my life fitness plan. It's important to be a role model for my children and grandchildren. I know my running has had a passive affect. My 11 year old grand daughter just joined a girls running club at school so she can run with me. Just love that!

As far as the Masters forum, I'm a regular lurker. 

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Lyric Girl

Congratulations to Kathleen and everyone here who recently ran first half marathons. I too joined your group last Sunday. You may think I'm crazy, but I had signed up for my second half (June 7, 2015) before I even ran my first half.

June 7, 2015 Niagara Falls Women's Half Marathon

Ran my SECOND half marathon today and beat my time by 5 minutes. I ran with a pacing group and found the experience to be downright enjoyable. Sticking with them through 10 miles left me with enough juice to break away and finish 6 minutes ahead of them. For now, I know I'm just "running" the distance, but I'm looking ahead to next Spring when I can shift to "racing" the half. But that's another topic.

Big thanks to all you pacers, running mentors, and race volunteers. Everything you do and share is appreciated.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K