Hallux limitus (Read 128 times)

sheardmd

While training for my first half-marathon at the beginning of this year I started having pain on the top of my foot.  It got pretty bad to the point that it was painful to run.  This only started when I got to about the 10 mile mark on my long runs.  After my half I went the podiatrist and was diagnosed with Hallux limitus and the beginnings of a bone spur.  Dr recommended custom orthotics $350, which my insurance does not cover and oral steroids or an injection.  I chose the oral steroids and decided to try an OTC orthotic and the oral steroid.  Things improved and I assumed were back to normal.  Fast forward to now, I am training for my 2nd half and am up to the 10 mile long run and it is hurting again.  Anyone have any recommendations/ideas?

How is the pain when not running, specifically when not wearing shoes?  I have twice inexplicably (no obvious injury) developed a very painful area on the top of my foot which turned out to be tendinitis from a tight spot in my shoes.  The pain was noticeably increased while I was wearing shoes, thus my initial question.  The first time it took me awhile to figure out the problem, but loosing the lacing cleared up the problem in a week.  The second time around, I suspected the same issue and ended up just retiring those shoes.  Again, the pain cleared up in a week.

2015 goals:   •  2,500 miles  •  Get healthy  •  50 miler

Chantilly75

There are many physio exercises on Youtube for foot/toe problems.

Hallux limitus can be stretched....  gradually and gently.

"I got nothing to do and all day to do it"  Styx

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I have issues with my big toe joint, though I think it is more metarsalgia related...I can say that my custom orthotics are the difference between night and day.  I don't particularly like adding weight to my shoes, but without them it's always in pain.  With them, I have zero pain.  They may be worth saving up for over time.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Cheap and Evil Girl

I have a mild form of this, have been rehabbing with the exercises I found online, and have seen an improvement although the range of motion is still limited compared to the other foot.

Leah

Yes.  Get ready for it to suck.  I have had it for years.

• Steroid injections can give me 6 months of relief, but it always goes back to square one. 
              • I have tried stretching with minimal success (the bone spur serves a purpose, namely preventing further damage). 
              • I often take anti-inflammatories and ice the toe after runs, but neither has been very effective. 
              • Running up hills, particularly steep ones, exacerbates the pain, but I don't live in Nebraska.
              • I was told to try more "rigid" shoes, but my body doesn't likes those kinds of shoes and I ended up with more serious hip issues.  I run in flexible/minimalist type shoes because I prefer the tradeoff of a sore toe over bad hips.  I have not tried orthotics, though, for the same reason that I no longer even consider "rigid" shoes. 
              • I tried capsaicin (sp), but that burned like hell.
              • I've had two doctors tell me that surgery will only be temporarily effective because the joint is arthritic and I should wait until the pain is intolerable.
              • The one thing that I believe has helped is tart cherry juice (whether it's real or psychosomatic, I don't know and don't care).  Other than that, it just hurts and I begrudgingly accept that. 

While training for my first half-marathon at the beginning of this year I started having pain on the top of my foot.  It got pretty bad to the point that it was painful to run.  This only started when I got to about the 10 mile mark on my long runs.  After my half I went the podiatrist and was diagnosed with Hallux limitus and the beginnings of a bone spur.  Dr recommended custom orthotics $350, which my insurance does not cover and oral steroids or an injection.  I chose the oral steroids and decided to try an OTC orthotic and the oral steroid.  Things improved and I assumed were back to normal.  Fast forward to now, I am training for my 2nd half and am up to the 10 mile long run and it is hurting again.  Anyone have any recommendations/ideas?

I have issues with my big toe joint, though I think it is more metarsalgia related...I can say that my custom orthotics are the difference between night and day.  I don't particularly like adding weight to my shoes, but without them it's always in pain.  With them, I have zero pain.  They may be worth saving up for over time.

I balked at the price as well, but finally went for them- night and day does indeed describe the difference.