Need HM plan advice (Read 116 times)

Not dead. Yet.

I'm trying to figure out my next plan of attack.  I have been doing well with training; ran a half marathon and a 5k in the past few weeks and I'm happy with the times (for now).  I have a 10k and a fun mud run in April and I have been looking at a few local halves in April and July.  The marathon is on my mind, but with all of your strong opinions about waiting for that, I've decided to push it until next year.  Even though I'm not training for a marathon, I want to pre-train for it.  In other words, I want to increase my long run up to maybe 16+ miles and get up to 40mpw for a while to get some experience with the workload.  That way when I do it for real next year I will be better prepared.

So, do you have suggestions for a HM training plan that will get me up to that kind of mileage and include the long runs?  Or should I use my Competitive Runners Handbook to build my own plan?  I haven't done many true intervals yet either; mostly just hills and fartlek, but I'm not afraid of them.  I want a good dose speed in there too.  I'd like to shoot for 1:45 or better by the end of a training block.  I guess I will need to pick out a goal race in June and train for that.

I looked at Running Wizard last night and it looks great.  I worry though about buying a plan before I know exactly whats in it.  Will it have the long runs like I want?  Also, I still struggle with keeping my pace down.  I'm beginning to feel the consequences as I push the mileage past where I have been comfortable for awhile.  Instead of forcing myself to slow down, though, I plan to just keep going and let my body naturally drop the pace as I pack on the miles.

Thanks in advance!

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

an amazing likeness

Instead of approaching this a 'training for a HM', I'd suggest an alternative of "learning to run 40 mpw, week in, week out", with the HM (and other race distances as just part of that longer journey. A race-specific training plan, and Running Wizard is a very good one, will get you to that specific HM, but then what's next?

I'm going to suggest you work on a running pattern, run easy most days (base miles) and have a mix of interval, hill, tempo (quality runs) supported by a longer run or two, and just keep repeating.

Some weeks you replace a tempo and long run with a HM race, then ease up to recover and then back into the pattern. Rinse, lather, repeat.

On the other hand, if you want to build -> sharpen -> peak -> race...then Running Wizard and the plans will get you there. They're mostly all good. Personally, I like the pattern in the Hidgon plans...they work well for me.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

JML

I use the Running Wizard plan and it is in fact a great running plan.  I think that I would offer you some advice other than plan selection.  I took a brief look at your log and there is not much difference between your easy run pace and your half marathon PR pace.  There should be more of a difference.  Your easy runs also show 8 out of 10 on the effort scale.  They should really be more like 2-3.

You will probably hear this from a number of people here.....you need to slow down your runs.  There is a place for hard running in a training cycle but 80% of your runs should be done at an easy effort for maximum benefit.   One interesting point of comparison, your easy run pace is the same as mine and my HM PR is 1:37.   When I ran my first half a few years ago 1:55 (similar to your current PR), my easy run pace always had a "10" in front of it.

Slow down and enjoy the journey.

Good luck.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Not dead. Yet.

Instead of approaching this a 'training for a HM', I'd suggest an alternative of "learning to run 40 mpw, week in, week out", with the HM (and other race distances as just part of that longer journey. A race-specific training plan, and Running Wizard is a very good one, will get you to that specific HM, but then what's next?

I'm going to suggest you work on a running pattern, run easy most days (base miles) and have a mix of interval, hill, tempo (quality runs) supported by a longer run or two, and just keep repeating.

Some weeks you replace a tempo and long run with a HM race, then ease up to recover and then back into the pattern. Rinse, lather, repeat.

That makes a lot of sense, especially at this point.  Once I get faster and more experienced and my fitness is maxing out, then I can try to fine tune with a specific plan.  I get it.  Thanks!

Not dead. Yet.

I took a brief look at your log and there is not much difference between your easy run pace and your half marathon PR pace.  There should be more of a difference.  Your easy runs also show 8 out of 10 on the effort scale.  They should really be more like 2-3.

You will probably hear this from a number of people here.....you need to slow down your runs.  There is a place for hard running in a training cycle but 80% of your runs should be done at an easy effort for maximum benefit.   One interesting point of comparison, your easy run pace is the same as mine and my HM PR is 1:37.   When I ran my first half a few years ago 1:55 (similar to your current PR), my easy run pace always had a "10" in front of it.

Slow down and enjoy the journey.

Yes.  I'm aware of it and I'm really trying to slow it down.  It just feels so much more comfortable to run like that; at least when I'm in the moment.  The hard work does kind of make me look forward to my days off though.  It's part physical (it feels good), but its also part mental.  I feel like if I slow down I won't get as much benefit.  I know I will, because I read it here all the time, but there's always a little devil in the back of my mind nagging me to push a little harder.  Maybe I need a running counselor to help me work through my issues.  :-O  

Also, like I mention, I'm kind of hoping by adding on miles my pace will just kind of naturally fall to accommodate the extra work.  Either way, I am definitely aware and working on it.

JML

While your pace may fall naturally over time, it is unlikely that it will fall that fast.  When I first started running again, I followed a plan that had me doing lots of hard runs.  While I did improve my fitness, I ended up at a plateau after a while where I wasn't getting any faster.   I  (re)learned to run easy and my fitness has greatly improved since then.

RunningWizard has me going out on Sunday for my long run at a pace (9:25) that is much slower than your average easy run.   In my experience, the ability to run fast and set PRs comes from a base of easy aerobic running.  Slow down and enjoy the ride.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

adavis58

spam