Back in the market for a camera (Read 2453 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks. There are loads of Coolpix out there. Any out of them preferred?

DPReview.com has scads of customer reviews...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks. There are loads of Coolpix out there. Any out of them preferred?

I am pretty sure my daughter's is this one..... http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-Camera/26202/COOLPIX-S4000.html

You can click on the SPECS tab to see what the specific features are.

They have a couple of models that are higher-end above this one.......and a bunch which are lower-end.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

I failed to see you said you wanted one with MANUAL as well as AUTO setting capability.  I think these compact digitals are probably not going to have a bunch of manual settings as far as apature settings, shutter speed, etc.  My guess is about all you are going to get is selectable ISO, flash (on, off, auto), and probably some pre-sets for things such as portraits, motion, outdoor/senic, etc.

Good luck.........lots and lots of choices and features and brands out there.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

xor

Canon's ultacompact is the 'digital elph'.  I've had two over the years.  The first one was circa 2002 (when 3 Mpix was the standard).  It did what I wanted it to do and was durable.  Towards the end of 2008, the images started getting blurry.

So I replaced it with the SD780 IS.  I'm pretty sure it has all the features you are looking for... it certainly has all the features I need.  Then again, I'm barely a photographer.  Anyway, definitely ultracompact and loaded with features including image stabilization (the IS in the name... which can be turned off).  It seems just as sturdy as the 2002 model I had, though I haven't beat it up to check.

It is now NOT the top of the line Elph camera... you can do better.  There's an SD1000 and an SD1200.  I don't know anything about them.  I do know you can still get the 780 for about 180-200 bucks.

If you want beat-the-crap-out-of-it durability in an ultra-compact, Olympus has a line of those.  And they can get wet... even dunkable... without giving up.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

DPReview.com has scads of customer reviews...

I live on dpreview and have already looked long for info there (and on cnet and elsewhere). The problem is that there are just too many choices, too much data. And there are in there loads of cameras that are no longer available. The reason I asked here is to see if people have specific recs to supplement or guide that research.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I tried this, too...only was matched up with one Olympus model that came close to your specs, but it didn't actually have any manual features.

I think you're looking for Cadillac features in a Smart Car body.  I'm not sure that you are going to find everything you are looking for without moving up to a larger camera.  Ultracompacts are generally KISS cameras and not intended for anything more than taking basic photos without a ton of user-control.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

I tried this, too...only was matched up with one Olympus model that came close to your specs, but it didn't actually have any manual features.

I think you're looking for Cadillac features in a Smart Car body.  I'm not sure that you are going to find everything you are looking for without moving up to a larger camera.  Ultracompacts are generally KISS cameras and not intended for anything more than taking basic photos without a ton of user-control.

I dunno.  My Canon SD780 IS has about 10,000 features of which I use 3.  Which, I guess means, that they haven't kept it as simple for stupid folks like me as perhaps they could have.

I have no doubts that bigger cameras have 25,000 features, but I suspect that the things Trent asked for aren't really the rocket science ones.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think you're looking for Cadillac features in a Smart Car body.  I'm not sure that you are going to find everything you are looking for without moving up to a larger camera.

My SD630 met those criteria. And that was 3 1/2 years ago.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I dunno.  My Canon SD780 IS has about 10,000 features of which I use 3.  Which, I guess means, that they haven't kept it as simple for stupid folks like me as perhaps they could have.

I have no doubts that bigger cameras have 25,000 features, but I suspect that the things Trent asked for aren't really the rocket science ones.

That's the point...he wants a tiny camera...those usually are the ones that have all of the auto settings for various conditions--so that the user doesn't need to make decisions or have any control over the end product.  He wants more control over the exposure, depth-of-field, manual focus..those sorts of controls are not usually available on very small-bodied cameras and reserved for larger models.  

I think the manufacturers are assuming that those who want the manual features will be glad to have anything smaller than an SLR format, so even a relatively large point-n-shoot will feel very compact.  I know my fairly large point-n-shoot feels wonderfully lightweight and portable compared to my DLSR with external flash unit and battery grip, even though it's still a pretty beefy camera.

I'm wondering, too, if the cost to make manual features available in a tiny package would also be prohibitively $$ for most consumers.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My SD630 met those criteria. And that was 3 1/2 years ago.

Perhaps the market has changed or they didn't sell very many of that size with those features, so they eliminated them?  I think for a few years the push was for more stuff in a smaller footprint.  But you have people like me who can't stand the tiny cameras--they are more difficult to handle if one is coming from a more standard SLR shaped unit.  There seems to be some reversion back to larger point-n-shoots from what I see in stores.

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

^

This, and...

For running (I've been through several), I have found that the simpler, the better.  I currently use a fixed lens Casio (not available anymore) with a 3x optical zoom.  The zoom isn't much, but digitial zoom is worthless (no better than zooming on the image after you have captured it, so why bother with digital zoom?).  I like the fixed lens because it has no moving parts (no lens to pop out when powering up or zooming in and out for no good reason other than to chew up the battery).  If I were in the market right now (for a running camera), I would seriously consider the Fujifilm FinePix XP10 / XP11... lots of features for a fairly small price and it's waterproof! 

The Z33 (I think) is their first generation small waterproof camera and it may be available for less $$. 

For posing the kid in the jaws of an alligator, I'd stick with a higher end Canon Sure Shot... , lots of user controllable features, but more $$.  Good battery life... probably not small enough for running (for me, anyway) and too many features to work through when you're trying to get a quick photo "on the run"...

Good luck,

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

What about just getting the same camera on ebay? There are several used ones up on the site right now that seem to be in decent shape. Or are you really looking to upgrade to something new now that your old one broke?

I purchased this camera for my wife this Christmas:

SD980

Great camera, no complaints.  Pretty sure it meets your requirements.

I too have always been partial to Canon and this camera has not disappointed.  I noticed that there is now an SD3500 - might be worth taking a lookt at.

Good Luck.

“Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory." - Mahatma Gandhi

Free.  Gimp.

http://www.gimp.org/

i've been using Gimp for nearly 7 years, and it's awesome! At least if you don't want to do anything toooo fancy.

And Nikon is the only way to go.   I have three Nikons - they are all pretty awesome. One of them is going on 6 years and still works. (a bit outdated though). Just got one of the new Coolpix S570 (i think). Wonderful little point-and-shoot camera.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I love my Nikon SLR.  But their pocket cameras have processors and optics that are not quite as good as Canon and Sony.  I always found that odd, but what can you do.

Also, dpreview has loads of cameras without reviews.  Makes me wonder about the website's name. dpreview.