A question about PR's (Read 544 times)

This is a really quick question... I recently completed my first 15K (a very windy Gate River Run in Jax) and my gun time and chip time are substantially different. When determining PR's and pace, should I be using my chip time or gun time? Chip time makes sense to me but I know they do overall place using gun time so I just want to make sure I do this right. Thanks!

A Saucy Wench

I always use chip time if it is available.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I base my PRs on my chip time.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ringmaster

Hey, from where I usually start in the corral, it's chip time all the way. Congratulations on your first 15K!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

Gun time is usually "official" time and is used to determine order of finish and award winners....although a few races do use chip time. Since chips have become widely used, many people use chip time for personal record keeping purposes.
              Chip time, absolutely. It's the time that it takes you to get from starting line to finish. For individual age group placings gun times are used in USATF events but even in those it is your chip time that is listed as your official time.
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33