Rest between mile intervals? (Read 1396 times)

kcam

JuliaSugarbaker, you're running two days a week and I see "Interval", "Fartlek", "Long" sessions! I think you're WAY ahead of yourself here. I'd work on just trying to run, say, 3 days a week. Then 4 days. etc

Prince of Fatness

The OP said she was going to do 3x1 mile at 5K to 10K pace. I guess this is where my mental block kicks in. Is it really necessary to run as fast as 5K pace when training for a HM? When I was training for my half earlier this year I thought of including intervals but couldn't figure out the details (how fast, how many, recovery). I ended up just sticking with tempos, since I was familiar and comfortable with those. I was doing 6 mile tempos at a little under HM pace (for me about 45 mins) with about 20 minutes of easy running before and after. This provided me with a nice midweek run. I was very pleased with the way the race went, but I am wondering if there is an interval session that could have helped me more? Thoughts?

Not at it at all. 

SMART Approach

The OP said she was going to do 3x1 mile at 5K to 10K pace. I guess this is where my mental block kicks in. Is it really necessary to run as fast as 5K pace when training for a HM? When I was training for my half earlier this year I thought of including intervals but couldn't figure out the details (how fast, how many, recovery). I ended up just sticking with tempos, since I was familiar and comfortable with those. I was doing 6 mile tempos at a little under HM pace (for me about 45 mins) with about 20 minutes of easy running before and after. This provided me with a nice midweek run. I was very pleased with the way the race went, but I am wondering if there is an interval session that could have helped me more? Thoughts?
        As race approaches, it is nice to do more race specific work. I think if you are not an extremely high mileage runner, there is no need to do much work faster than 10K pace. One of your quality sessions per week can be half marathon paced reps - like 4-6 X 1 mile followed by quick striders and the next week you can do 5-7 X 1K at current 10K pace followed by quick striders. If doing another quality day per week focus on longer slower tempos like 40-50 min at marathon pace. HM pace for 45 min is a bit tough if lower miles I believe unless very experienced. It would be a good work out as race approaches or building up to it to add confidence to the race.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Prince of Fatness

As race approaches, it is nice to do more race specific work. I think if you are not an extremely high mileage runner, there is no need to do much work faster than 10K pace. One of your quality sessions per week can be half marathon paced reps - like 4-6 X 1 mile followed by quick striders and the next week you can do 5-7 X 1K at current 10K pace followed by quick striders. If doing another quality day per week focus on longer slower tempos like 40-50 min at marathon pace. HM pace for 45 min is a bit tough if lower miles I believe unless very experienced. It would be a good work out as race approaches or building up to it to add confidence to the race.
          I was in the low 40's for weekly mileage, and built up to the 45 minute tempo runs. When I first start doing them it was somewhere between 30 - 35 minutes. Since this was my only quality day for the week I didn't feel beat up by it and had no problems with recovery. I will definitely look into intervals for the shorter races, but for 10 miles and up I might stick with the tempos. Thanks for chiming in.

Not at it at all. 

Scout7

The OP said she was going to do 3x1 mile at 5K to 10K pace. I guess this is where my mental block kicks in. Is it really necessary to run as fast as 5K pace when training for a HM?
            Yes.
            When I was training for my half earlier this year I thought of including intervals but couldn't figure out the details (how fast, how many, recovery). I ended up just sticking with tempos, since I was familiar and comfortable with those. I was doing 6 mile tempos at a little under HM pace (for me about 45 mins) with about 20 minutes of easy running before and after. This provided me with a nice midweek run. I was very pleased with the way the race went, but I am wondering if there is an interval session that could have helped me more? Thoughts?
            Depends. I have done a grand total of two interval sessions in the last 3 years. One was three days before a marathon. I don't like them, so I don't do them. That may or may not change, and I really don't much care. You never have to do intervals. I think the majority of people on this site would be better served by increasing mileage than worrying about things like intervals. I'm willing to bet that, for most of us, we're better served by working on increasing volume and frequency throughout the year, and giving ourselves a few years of solid running, than by worrying about what pace to run intervals at or how much rest to take between them.
            mikeymike

Do them at 10k pace or a tad slower and jog a 200 (or 80 seconds if you're doing them on the roads) in between. That's a good HM workout.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Depends. I have done a grand total of two interval sessions in the last 3 years. One was three days before a marathon. I don't like them, so I don't do them. That may or may not change, and I really don't much care. You never have to do intervals. I think the majority of people on this site would be better served by increasing mileage than worrying about things like intervals. I'm willing to bet that, for most of us, we're better served by working on increasing volume and frequency throughout the year, and giving ourselves a few years of solid running, than by worrying about what pace to run intervals at or how much rest to take between them.
                This has been my line of thinking the past year or so. I have been focusing on keeping the mileage up year 'round (I always scaled back in the winter), and have made it a point to get out for a ~2 hour run every weekend. This has made a big difference. I like how you mention a few solid years of running, and am starting to see how beneficial that is now. My eyes really opened when I ran a 5 mile race in May. I ran all 5 miles under 7 minutes, when I hadn't run 1 mile under 7 minutes in almost 2 years! It was a PR by over a minute. I'm like you in that I really don't like intervals. I like tempo runs, so that made my choice easy. I still have room to improve just by keeping the mileage up and dropping those last 5 - 10 lbs. I'm not anxious to switch to intervals and may not .... just wondering out loud I guess. Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

Scout7

Intervals are very helpful, for some people. For others, it's more mileage that's important. Of course, we always give advice based on our experiences and understanding, and it colors what we say. Some of us have success with doing speedwork on lower mileage, so we throw that out there. Some have bad experiences with doing anything even remotely like speedwork, so we generally give the statement that lots of miles is key, and speedwork is iffy. What's best for any one person? I couldn't tell you. I can only give my impressions of things, and share my experiences. Where's Jeff? He'd eat this stuff up.
                  Hannibal Granite

Thanks, Hannibal. A couple clarifications...
                    Jake, Sorry I didn't get back to this thread earlier, but Mishka has answered everything in almost the exact same way I would have so no need to repeat everything he has already said. I will add to the thought that it is beneficial for a person really trying to improve their times to do some work at all different paces - easy (slower than marathon pace), VO2 max(3K-5K Pace), threshold(10K-1/2 Mar Pace), speed (mile pace or faster). throughout the training cycle regardless of what your goal race distance is - You'll also want to add in some marathon pace running if training specifically for a marathon. By excluding one or more of the elements you are not working all the systems and are leaving time on the table. Yes, that means to truly maximize performance even a marathoner should run some fast 400s occasionally and an 800m runner should do some threshold tempo runs. The difference obviously is that as the goal race approaches certain workouts will be emphasized depending on the race distance. All that being said, most people would run faster times if they just ran moreSmile

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

JakeKnight

Great thread. Thanks to the OP, thanks to all for the information.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------