Best concealed weapon to carry on runs. (Read 462 times)

What's the best concealed weapon to carry in the backwoods or while running in seedy neighborhoods?  Does anyone carry weapons with them on long runs?

L Train

Dental floss.

Me.

BIS

High Horse

There a number of excellent small lightweight conceal carry guns made. I would recommend going to a good dealer with a wide selection and "try them on" to see what feels good and fits your budget.

My choice would probably be a Glock 27, but I haven't been shopping for a handgun for a number of years.

If this is your first gun I highly recommend that you take some safety/use courses.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member ~ Groucho Marx.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

concealed weapon

I was thinking more like this. L_Train   I don't need a garrote...I have some left over from Afghanistan and Iraq.  A tattoo is not a deterrent on my old body and I also don't want to get in trouble for brandishing a blank weapon.

What's the best concealed weapon to carry in the backwoods or while running in seedy neighborhoods?  Does anyone carry weapons with them on long runs?

Just how seedy are these neighborhoods? I always figured no one would bother me on a run because (a) I'm not carrying anything of value and (b) everything I'm wearling smells like ass because I've been running in it.

Let me see I've been hit with rocks and beer bottles.  Many times people have tossed things at me as I've run along the highway.  Additionally, I've had a couple cars swerve and try to hit me and once a car followed me into a field trying to run me over.   I won't bore you with the times rattlesnakes, mooses, and bears have scared the heck out of me.

Feeling the growl again

I would think something along the lines of a Ruger LCR or LCP would be the right size.  Anything bigger (like any of the Glocks) would get awful heavy to run with...I'm still trying to imagine a secure holster and way to secure it that would not bounce awfully when running.

If your concern is bad neighborhoods, I would think you would be better off running somewhere else.  Authorities will have little sympathy for you if you shoot at someone for throwing something at you or trying to run you off the road.  It will be awfully hard to prove your life was in imminent danger and the right to stand and defend yourself vs trying to flee varies widely from state to state.  Even if you are right you may end up spending time in the clink and emptying your bank account on lawyers to be vindicated.

Last summer less than 10 miles from me, the driver of a car got mad at a cyclist he was trying to pass and intentionally locked up the brakes in front of him in an attempt to wreck the cyclist.  The cyclist fired three rounds through the back of the truck at the driver, one round hitting him and causing a bruise.  The cyclist was charged with a class D felony while the driver, who took the first action to cause harm, got nothing.

If your concern is bears, you should be carrying nothing smaller than a .357 Magnum, preferably with at least a 4-inch barrel.  Nothing smaller will reliably give the penetration you need.  This means guns that are pretty large to be practical for running.  And given typical running clothes, keeping it concealed becomes a significant hurdle.

Pepper spray or a good knife may be an option.  Personally I would just run different places if I felt I was in enough danger to need to carry something.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Let me see I've been hit with rocks and beer bottles.  Many times people have tossed things at me as I've run along the highway.  Additionally, I've had a couple cars swerve and try to hit me and once a car followed me into a field trying to run me over.   I won't bore you with the times rattlesnakes, mooses, and bears have scared the heck out of me.

See, and that is the dilemma.  Let's say this is a serious post and someone wants to carry a concealed weapon on a run.

What happens in that "Gut reaction" moment when some f__k throws a beer bottle at you, and it hits you?  Would some folks react and shoot back?  Would they be justified in doing such???

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

xor

1. Maybe run elsewhere.

2. If you whip out a gun in any of these situations, it'll wind up worse for you... not better.

3. A handgun isn't really going to help you much with bears and meece. Maybe rattlesnakes if you are a very very good shot.

4. Maybe run elsewhere.  Kudos for seeing bear, moose, and snakes.  Cougars would be cool.

Feeling the growl again

Would they be justified in doing such???

Does someone really need to answer that question?  Shooting someone for throwing a beer bottle?

Carrying a weapon comes with serious responsibility.  You have to know the applicable laws and be the sort that can keep a cool head and follow them.  Otherwise you are going to prison.

Regarding handguns and bears, those make wonderful nuclear threads on hunting forums but the facts are that a) a handgun is a poor substitute for a rifle, and b) plenty of people have saved themselves from bears with big bore handguns.  I own the two lightest bigbore handguns ever manufactured to my knowledge (a Taurus Tracker Titanium 41 Magnum and a S&W 329PD 44 Magnum) which I acquired to carry when hunting in grizzly country.  While they are not noticeable on the hip when hiking I certainly would not want to try and run with either one.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Daydreamer1

When I choose to carry a gun during a run it's a little Kahr P380. It's sweet shooting and easy to fit in my Nathan waist pack. Weight is 13 oz loaded. The chances of needing it are minimal, but as a hunter and general outdoors man, I don't like to be in the middle of nowhere without it and a knife.  Some people will say it's too small to be effective against a black bear. I'd rather have it then nothing at all. A little common sense will keep most wildlife encounters safe and to a minimum.  At the same time I rarely ever carry it when I'm on the road, running or biking.

If your running in such a bad neighborhood that you need to carry then you may be better off considering changing your route.

The holster I've got I use as a fanny pack to carry water and gu on long runs.  I was just trying to find the best light weight weapon to carry on the days I need to.  All the pistols I've got are too heavy.

Mysecondnewname

Carrying a weapon comes with serious responsibility.  You have to know the applicable laws and be the sort that can keep a cool head and follow them.  Otherwise you are going to prison.

Agreed.

Sometimes the best way to avoid trouble is to avoid trouble in the first place.

It doesn't matter if the other guy or gal "deserves" it--if you injure someone, you are often the one who will likely pay in more ways than one.

PS:  That goes for non-weapon fighting as well.  An interesting book that makes this point very well is:  http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Fight-Avoiding-Surviving/dp/1592406319/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365727130&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+win+a+fight