Yet another Garmin thread... calories? (Read 617 times)

Former runner

I noticed that my 405 tends to have lower calorie readings for runs compared to my old Polar. I did a easy bike ride today and noticed the exact opposite in bike mode. Examples: Yesterday, Run for 1:00:32, avg HR 141, calories 477 Today, Bike for 59:46, avg HR 114, calories 824 I checked my user settings and they are all correct. Anyone else notice this with their Garmins? Confused

Ross

I would be more concerned with the fact that you have balls for hands. How do you even work the Garmin buttons? Seriously, I have no idea what formula Garmin uses to track calories. I would assume it's rudimentary at best and I don't even use that function. Ditto for Polar. They probably both just use some general formula.

Former runner

The 405 is touch screen. Big grin You should see me bowl with no arms. Wink MTA: Reference for those not familiar with wii sports.

Ross

Based on a recent discussion - I think the difference is the Garmin is showing calories burned from your exercise alone. The Polar is showing metabolism burn + exercise burn.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Former runner

I googled it and the consensus seems to be that Garmins are wildly inaccurate with calories. They don't appear to factor in heart rates. I wonder if there is a comparable plugin for Sport Tracks like the altitude correction plugin. I'll just use the RA calorie count for my reference.

Ross