What speed is the right speed? (Read 1436 times)

I think a big problem is terminology. I totally agree beginners need to run comfortable. I like to use this term rather slow when setting up programs. Beginners don't want to be labeled "slow". When I want runners to run slow or do recovery runs, I label it "very comfortable pace". When I work with beginners I generally give the advice above of Willamoma, Nobby and others. Just go out and run at comfortable pace. The problem I encounter is the runners want a little bit of variety. They get tired of the same old pace (yawn). If they hire me, I don't want them bored. You have to listen to your clients. So, what I do after a break in period or if they express this boredom to me is to throw in a few subtle changes to their program yet still keeping 95% plus of their miles comfortable. I may tell them one day to finish the last 1/2 mile or mile at a faster pace (not killer pace). Another day I may say, every 3-5 min, run 30 sec. at a faster pace. One day, I may tell them to travel to an area where there might be some hills and tell them to run those hills at same effort or circle back and run them again. This just adds some variety to the work outs and they thank me for it. It doesn't take away from any base building or mileage building, almost all their miles are still comfortable but these techniques just add some variety and will actually enhance their development. For those of you beginners reading this, think about it!
    Tchuck: Very good point and a very valid point too! Thanks for pointing out. I'd definitely keep that in mind when I help slower people/beginners. I'm leading the "faster" group for the MDRA's beginning women's running class yet, they are 9~10-minute mile people (this is one single mile, not per mile pace). I threw a fartlek workout last week simply because, for people who can run for 40-minutes with not much problem at all, it's good to, like you said, mix things up a bit. I don't see anything wrong with that. However, one thing I noticed, and no fault on your part whatsoever because it is a reality and I've faced it myself many times...; when you have a client who pays you to train them, it is a reality and there's a tendency to "please them". Not that I'm against giving them some faster workouts here and there; but we also need to make sure they understand the mechanism of improving fitness; meaning, there IS a period of time that then need to be patient and slog some slow miles before them move on, or "graduate" you might say, to some faster harder stuff. There should be a clear understanding of what needs to be done OVER what the clients want to do. I think one of the downfalls of Naoko Takahashi, the Olympic champion in 2000, is to set up Team Q where SHE pays coaches, trainers, nutritionist and managers, etc. Coaches are the ones who get paid by Takahashi herself. In that kind of situation, it is very difficult to defy her and tell her, "No, don't do it; but do it this way..." because if you "P" her off, you might lose your job! I'm sure you have a good sense to differenciate (I've been reading most of your posts and I like them so...) but just my 2 cents.

SMART Approach

Tchuck: Very good point and a very valid point too! Thanks for pointing out. I'd definitely keep that in mind when I help slower people/beginners. However, one thing I noticed, and no fault on your part whatsoever because it is a reality and I've faced it myself many times...; when you have a client who pays you to train them, it is a reality and there's a tendency to "please them". Not that I'm against giving them some faster workouts here and there; but we also need to make sure they understand the mechanism of improving fitness; meaning, there IS a period of time that then need to be patient and slog some slow miles before them move on, or "graduate" you might say, to some faster harder stuff. There should be a clear understanding of what needs to be done OVER what the clients want to do. (I've been reading most of your posts and I like them so...) but just my 2 cents.
      Nobby, yes, also a great point. It is very important to communicate with clients. I make sure they are comfortable with what I implement and monitor it. I wouldn't add something that I feel they couldn't do. Because communication is so vital, this is why I generally do most of my coaching locally where I can be face to face with the clients. I rarely will do internet coaching because I think you lose that personal touch. Also, this isn't my full time career anymore and I don't have money needs, so I can pick and choose my clients and do it because of enjoyment. I also provide a lot of free coaching.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com