to race or not to race (Read 511 times)

bas

Sunday I hope to run my first 30K race. A beautiful course through the Dutch coastal region - I have been looking forward to it and I have been training for it. But the last ten days my left calf has become sensitive. I ran 10K last friday but it still did not feel quite right. I tell myself I am not injured, but I'm not completely certain I believe this. My reasoning is now that by giving myself a complete rest for the rest of the week I still have a chance to run the race on sunday. Does that make sense? bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

RUN HARD

Game time decision. I would rest until Saturday night. Sat try jogging half a mile. Then do some quick strides and try to get near top speed. If you feel pain...I guess it depends on what you are training for and when that event is. Good Luck
      Wingz

Professional Noob

I agree - you may not know until the end of the week. Is the race important enough to you to risk it? Also, you could consider not *racing* the 30K but just running it and considering it a nice long training run with refreshments provided... Wink Good luck.

Roads were made for journeys...

bas

Thanks, both of you. I was thinking along the same lines, including the 'nice long training run' idea. To be continued... bas

bas

OK, I did a 5K trial run today and decided that I will run this race tomorrow. No pain, sensitive left calf still there. So I will try to follow Wingz's advice and treat it like a long run with refreshments provided. bas