First Marathon Pacing (Read 547 times)

rkeddie

Dumb question alert. For my first marathon, how do I know what pace to aim for. I know what I've done in training runs of various distances, and what I'd like my goal to be, but I don't know if it is realistic. For my long runs I average about 10:30 miles. For short runs, about 8:30 miles. For stuff in between ( 8 - 14 mile range ) I averaged about 9:30's when training. I'd love to break 4 hours, but have no idea if this is realistic or overly ambitious. By the way, help quickly... Marathon's next week!!!
      Without seeing your training log, it's hard to help ... have you run any longer races recently? 10 m or HM?
      2009: BQ?
      rkeddie

The only other race I've done is a half, about a year ago. I finished in 2:03, but that doesn't help much. I am in better shape now and last week did an easy 12 mi run and averaged about 5 seconds per mile faster than I did for the race, at a much easier effort level. I changed my log to public, if that helps.
          After further review, of your log, I say you have a very good chance of achieving the 9:00 pace. Be sure to REST the week before the marathon. Only do an EOD schedule of 3-4 mile easy runs and take the day off before the race. You have a very good base and great long runs. I liked seeing that 24.2 miler. IMHO, those of us running up to 200-225 miles a month can benefit from longer long runs whereas those running 300+ miles a month can get by doing 20 milers. Wishing you all the best success.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

mikeymike

9:30 pace, no faster. Just my 2 cents.

Runners run

rkeddie

I really appreciate all of your help. Why do you say no better than a 9:30?
                I just finished my first marathon (Dublin Marathon) and I recommend you go at the same pace as your long runs. It is difficult to commit to this speed, because you feel you can do better. I went back and forth trying to decide my speed. I thought I could run faster than 10 min/mi so I tried it at the beginning. It doesn't work. there are so many things you will learn from your first marathon that you can never anticipate a pace that you haven't tried in a marathon distance. I ended up running at 11 min/mi because I hit a slump at around mile 19. Perhaps because I went as fast as 8:30 min/mi earlier. One last thing, it is REALLY EASY to start going faster than you want at the beginning. It's like drivin in the highway, where you drive faster than speed limit because of the flow of other cars. My advice is to stick to your usual long-run pace at least until mile 20. There will be so many issues and thoughts throughout the race that you will need to make sure you can take it all in with a clear mind and not exhausted. I now feel that I can train for my second marathon with a certainty about what I need to do to improve and knowing what to expect physically and mentally. In the end, you want to be able to say to your friends that you finished the marathon, and you ran it all the way through.
                Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt
                mikeymike

I really appreciate all of your help. Why do you say no better than a 9:30?
                  It's just that it's your first marathon, you dont have much of a base and you haven't done any long runs at a pace faster than that. The longest run where you even ran 9:30's was only a 12 miler. I think 9:30 is even being agressive. I think cordovez just gave the best advice--go out at your long run pace.

Runners run

bas

I ran my first marathon two weeks ago and found that I could keep up the pace I had planned for only 15 to 20 kilometers. After that I realized that finishing your first is much more important than desperately trying to hold on to the pace and maybe not finishing at all... Us first timers have no clue what will happen after 30 kilomters! Smile Good luck, and enjoy the race! bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

rkeddie

I know that you are probably right, I'd just had my heart set on breaking a 4 hour marathon. I guess I'll understand it a little better in about a week! Thanks for the advice everyone.