so geeked, i forgot to share! (Read 877 times)

shyrunner07

look at what my sweet hubby bought me this weekend!!! god, i am still so geeked! i had the original white model (aka "whitey"), but that one finally gave out a year or two ago....we have the nano and shuffle, but i've never been able to warm up to either- they are just too tiny for me to really navigate. Plus i missed having the storage capacity to put all my tunes on... i'd mentioned in passing to dh, that the ipod would be a nice bday present (ahem, *really* nice! Tongue). I had noooooo idea he was going to go for it, and on top of that, to spring for one so early! :O
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In the immortal words of Borat, "that's NICE!" Big grin So can you do video on that? That's one thing that would be cool with a full-scale iPod--the ability to watch movies while on a flight or traveling. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That's what I'm talkin about! Cool I got mine last fall and it totally re-energized the way I listen to my music. I love having it all at my fingertips. I find a little to bulky for running (that's what my Shuffle is for), but this is my all-time favorite consumer gadget. That is, (dream) until I get my 24" Intel iMac with Leopard 10.5 and iLife '07 pre-loaded.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

24" Intel iMac with Leopard 10.5 and iLife '07 pre-loaded.
          That's SO hot! k

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

holy big picture batman! Blush yikes! i love Blackie soooo much! i bought a couple of games for it...Ms Pacman and Zuma. The graphics are too cool! Now comes the hard work of loading up all of my library...! lol
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Now comes the hard work of loading up all of my library...! lol
              Once you've decided on your import format (iTunes default is 128kbs AAC -- whether to go MP3 and/or higher bitrate is a whole different argument), the trick is this: On iTunes, under Preferences -->Advanced Menu --> Importing, where it says "On CD Insert:", select "Import CD and Eject". Example of this menu Now, bring a stack of CDs to your computer. Insert a CD, and iTunes will automatically Import(Rip) it and eject it no questions asked (unless it doesn't recognize it). Every time you walk by the computer, pop another CD in. It takes time, but this is about the closest you can come to doing it on autopilot. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

shyrunner07

thanks for that tip! anything to avoid those pesky prompts! (especially on Vista...groan) oh, here's something i was wondering....never really needed to know it with Whitey, but now i'm scratching my head... is there any way to shift around the songs into different playlists, etc on the ipod without having to first load the tunes on the computer?
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

is there any way to shift around the songs into different playlists, etc on the ipod without having to first load the tunes on the computer?
                  Well, the songs always have to go onto the computer first, but if I understand your question, you're asking if you can re-arrange / move them into different playlists on the iPod, w/o doing it on the computer. The answer is a qualified no. No, you can't move the songs, but yes, you can create a playlist on the fly away from your computer. If you scroll to a song name and hold down the center button, the screen will flash, and said song will be saved to an "on the go" playlist. Details here.. This playlist will sync back into iTunes as well. There's also as way to do multiple "On the Go" playlists here (I haven't tried this one yet). As for Vista, I can't help you there. Looks like zoom-zoom is gonna have to work you over 'til you buy a Mac. Wink

Now comes the hard work of loading up all of my library...! lol
                    Or you could get this program for $20 to copy from your other ipods to your new library. http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/ipodcopy/
                    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As for Vista, I can't help you there. Looks like zoom-zoom is gonna have to work you over 'til you buy a Mac. Wink
                      Oh, she wants one...I know she's about thisclose to dumping PCs for good! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Z-Z, WARNING: I'm a hardware nerd, so I apologize in advance, but... I don't know if you're planning on running with it, but you really shouldn't. Unlike the nano and shuffle which just use RAM, the video iPod uses a real mechanical hard drive. All the jostling that running causes (or any exercise causes, for that matter) can quickly warp and ruin it. Otherwise, enjoy that puppy! I love mine and they're loads of fun!
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't know if you're planning on running with it, but you really shouldn't. Unlike the nano and shuffle which just use RAM, the video iPod uses a real mechanical hard drive. All the jostling that running causes (or any exercise causes, for that matter) can quickly warp and ruin it.
                          Good call. I sort of hinted at it, but you layed it right in the line, Shelly. Those little Shuffles may seem useless w/o a screen, but I've found mine to be excellent for running... Cheers, Jeff

shyrunner07

that's a good point! i will def remember that when i dare to unchain myself from the tread and actually hit the pavement...