Endurance Fuel Suggestions (Read 253 times)

berkeleytailwind

I'm looking for a good endurance fuel to use for my 5-6 hour runs. It would be really helpful if you can give answers to some or all of the questions below.

1. What endurance fuel do you currently use?

2. What are its strengths and weaknesses?

3. Where can you buy the product?

4. Where can I find out more about the product?

One of my friends recommended Tailwind Endurance Fuel. If you used it before, what are your thoughts on it?

Feeling the growl again

During my ultra attempts I run on Gu, Gatorade, and Mountain Dew.

During true endurance long runs (>3 hrs), I have used PB&J sandwiches, Gu, and once two huge chocolate bars (only thing I could find in VIenna that I could carry).  It all worked fine.  After the latter I didn't want chocolate for 2 months though.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

During my ultra attempts I run on Gu, Gatorade, and Mountain Dew.

During true endurance long runs (>3 hrs), I have used PB&J sandwiches, Gu, and once two huge chocolate bars (only thing I could find in VIenna that I could carry).  It all worked fine.  After the latter I didn't want chocolate for 2 months though.  Big grin

Nooo.  Not possibleSmile

steph  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

One of my friends recommended Tailwind Endurance Fuel.

Yeah...I'm sure with your username that you're not a shill...

Jeebuz, people, don't feed the friggin' spammers.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

I'm not sure how responding to a shill by recommending cheap, generic options (I made the grape jelly myself from home grown grapes) over an over-priced, unnecessary snake oil is feeding a spammer.  But if it is the congrats, you did the same thing by bumping it back to the top yourself?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

For 5-6 hr runs, I generally use Clip2 because it's mild flavored, has minimal electrolytes, has protein and fat, and doesn't muck up my water bottles or hydration bladder. Runs of that length are usually training for longer runs (like 13 hrs - I'm slow). I can get it online or at LBS about a 10-min walk from my house. I've used their Ultra for shorter runs but usually use plain water or cytomax for them.

I'll also use trail mix, M&M's, pretzels, clif bars, shot bloks (margarita and others), powerbar gel blasts (lemon), pemmican, wheat thins, and probably some things I'm forgetting - IF I'm using that run to test fuels for longer runs. I may use chocolate milk or slimfast (slimfast changed their formula so less likely to use it) also to test for longer runs. These days I'm likely to use trail mix, pretzels, bars, bloks for a run of 5-6 hrs where I'm not testing anything. I recently found a gel flavor that works for me, so will likely add gels to my fuel choices.

Most of the above I get at local grocery store. Pemmican I get at REI when they've got it. I tend to like things I can eat by handful (trail mix, M&M's, bloks, or cut up bars rather than larger chunks)

For long runs, there's 3 main things to pay attention to: hydration, electrolytes, fuel. Since I'm a low sweater in cool weather, I need more fuel than what I'd take in by fluid alone. I usually take care of electrolytes by salty food and can adjust to my needs that day. I've used Scaps on occasion for long, hot run (maybe 10 a year, if that).

YMMV.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Yeah...I'm sure with your username that you're not a shill...

Noticed that which is why I pointed out most of my stuff comes from local grocery. Considering the number of people online that think that fuel = gel, an occasional reminder of what's in grocery store can be helpful. (grocery store does have gels too, now that I think about it)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Whatever the intentions of the original poster, hope no one minds if I hijack the thread a bit.

During runs longer than two hours, I've been consuming nothing but a little water. Like, sips. On a recent run just under three hours, I had about 8oz of water total, and felt tired but otherwise ok (easy effort, though).

I've tried sports drinks and gels, and while they've never bothered me, I've never noticed much of a boost either. It's hard to tell when you're having a good run because of what you ingest vs just having a good run. Same thing with marathons. Some have been good, some (most) have been bonkerific, no rhyme or reason.

My next marathon is serving cytomax at the aid stations, something I've never had before. If I want to try it, I have to buy a jug. That's fine I guess, but given how I feel generally ok with just a little water, I'm wondering if I should just go the super simple route. Will I be throwing away months of really good training? Has anyone else ever said no thanks to all the magic potions for long races?

PS I know they're not all "magic," experiment of one, do what works for you, etc etc etc.

Feeling the growl again

Whatever the intentions of the original poster, hope no one minds if I hijack the thread a bit.

During runs longer than two hours, I've been consuming nothing but a little water. Like, sips. On a recent run just under three hours, I had about 8oz of water total, and felt tired but otherwise ok (easy effort, though).

I've tried sports drinks and gels, and while they've never bothered me, I've never noticed much of a boost either. It's hard to tell when you're having a good run because of what you ingest vs just having a good run. Same thing with marathons. Some have been good, some (most) have been bonkerific, no rhyme or reason.

My next marathon is serving cytomax at the aid stations, something I've never had before. If I want to try it, I have to buy a jug. That's fine I guess, but given how I feel generally ok with just a little water, I'm wondering if I should just go the super simple route. Will I be throwing away months of really good training? Has anyone else ever said no thanks to all the magic potions for long races?

PS I know they're not all "magic," experiment of one, do what works for you, etc etc etc.

Define "long".

IMHO, regardless of distance, fueling....especially for training runs...is not really an issue until you get over 3 hours.  I never, never fuel for runs under 3 hours unless I am racing a marathon...then, 4 gels and 2-3 cups of Gatorade are in order.

Over 3 hours, as described before, I use stuff you can probably find in your pantry.  And it works fine.  I dropped from both of my 50-mile attempts (sub-6 attempt on both) around 34 miles, once due to massive under-training and second time due to injury.  Both times I was feeling just fine fueling-wise.

Define "long".

IMHO, regardless of distance, fueling....especially for training runs...is not really an issue until you get over 3 hours.  I never, never fuel for runs under 3 hours unless I am racing a marathon...then, 4 gels and 2-3 cups of Gatorade are in order.

Over 3 hours, as described before, I use stuff you can probably find in your pantry.  And it works fine.  I dropped from both of my 50-mile attempts (sub-6 attempt on both) around 34 miles, once due to massive under-training and second time due to injury.  Both times I was feeling just fine fueling-wise.

Long as in marathon, shooting for mid-to-low 2:50s on a fast course. Training runs I'm usually happy being empty, or eating a few dates/figs before I leave the house, and just water. I've always used gels for the races, but as I said I can't tell if they're helping. I'd love to try real foods but don't know where to put them, since I'm usually embarrassingly close to naked for fast efforts.

My definition of long will change soon, since I'll be running a tough trail 50K in March. Or maybe November, if I'm feeling foolish. Then I'll have fueling anxiety all over again.

Sometimes I think I really should stick to 5Ks.

Feeling the growl again

Long as in marathon, shooting for mid-to-low 2:50s on a fast course. Training runs I'm usually happy being empty, or eating a few dates/figs before I leave the house, and just water. I've always used gels for the races, but as I said I can't tell if they're helping. I'd love to try real foods but don't know where to put them, since I'm usually embarrassingly close to naked for fast efforts.

My definition of long will change soon, since I'll be running a tough trail 50K in March. Or maybe November, if I'm feeling foolish. Then I'll have fueling anxiety all over again.

Sometimes I think I really should stick to 5Ks.

I prefer gels for races mainly because they are easy to pin inside the waist of my shorts or in pockets.  But I very rarely use them in training...too expensive.  A bit of Gatorade or PB&J is much cheaper and just as effective.  And under 3 hours, in training, I don't want anything more than a Gatorade.  Races, 400cal of gels is plenty.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not sure how responding to a shill by recommending cheap, generic options (I made the grape jelly myself from home grown grapes) over an over-priced, unnecessary snake oil is feeding a spammer.  But if it is the congrats, you did the same thing by bumping it back to the top yourself?

Or I could have simply shut the thread down entirely.  I responded more as a reminder to take a closer look at threads that smell of Spam before responding.  The OP isn't likely to be around a whole lot longer.

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

Or I could have simply shut the thread down entirely.  I responded more as a reminder to take a closer look at threads that smell of Spam before responding.  The OP isn't likely to be around a whole lot longer.

OK Ms. Authority.  Instead it turned into something actually informative for people.  Oh how wasteful. Roll eyes

Not all of us have 3 hours a day to surf facebook to determine if people are professing our desired level of outrage at specific current events and analyze details of peoples' scree names to identify potential spam before posting well-intentioned information.  Chill out.

Josh, As you know, racing intensity is different than training intensity. What worked for a 3-hr long run in training may or may not work in a 3-hr race. (I'll save you the "been there, done that" stories)  If you're used to gels, I'd probably continue that way UNLESS you've done some higher intensity runs of maybe a couple hours or so.

Until peanut butter magic gel appeared awhile ago, I could never tolerate gels at all, and rarely did races with aid stations (trails with no road intersections) - and one with aid stations had water so cold, it passed right through me. So I'm used to bringing my own whatever. I'll add aid station water to water bottle, but not drink it directly. For a 3-4 hr race, I've used shot-bloks or similar. Today, I might consider gels instead, but probably not. I am adding gels to my menu for longer duration stuff.

Regarding Cytomax, I like it and it's what I've used on shorter runs and races until it got hard to find a couple years ago. It does gunk up water bottles so I've never used it in bladders. They used to have some really good flavors, like pink lemonade. It does come in single packet servings, but whether you can buy them online that way or just as package of servings, I'm not sure. I think REI had some individual packets last time I was in there. It's more available now, but fewer flavors. Other people hate it. I can't stand gatorade. YMMV.

If you're used to water and gels, and have no reason to change, I'd probably keep it that way. If you don't think you need the gel, then don't use it - but by the time you realize you might need it, it might be too late. Knowing these things ahead of time would take all the fun and mystery out of running. Wink

A 5-6 hr run like OP referred to is a much different situation.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK Ms. Authority.  Instead it turned into something actually informative for people.  Oh how wasteful. Roll eyes

Not all of us have 3 hours a day to surf facebook to determine if people are professing our desired level of outrage at specific current events and analyze details of peoples' scree names to identify potential spam before posting well-intentioned information.  Chill out.

Apparently you have time enough to turn plenty of threads here into your personal pissing contests.

~ Sarah Kay