Dumb things we runner types are guilty of... (Read 1188 times)

Member Since 2008

Here is my dumb moment Zoom, I have been training for several months for a biathlon (40K bike, 10K run) in a town that is two hours away from where I live. The day before the race, I loaded up my bike on the back of my car. I checked into the motel at 8:00pm at night and went to dinner with my wife. I got back to the Motel at 9:20pm, and crawled into bed to get lots of rest. As I laid there looking at my bike, I noted a nice hole in my rear tire, Shockedevidentially caused by my cars exhaust. I went to Wal-mart (waste of time). I ended up driving all the way home, got my spare tires and tools and drove back to the Motel. By the time I got to sleep, it was 2:00am. My alarm went off at 5:00am. Needless to say my times sucked, but I finished!! Tongue Beat that one!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Neg splits? All you need to know is the halfway point. Even if you don't know where you are you can always go out and back.
      Well, I will say that I almost always take less time to run the return leg of any out-and-back...though I know some of that is due to most of my routes having more uphills on the way out than on the way back. Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I ended up driving all the way home, got my spare tires and tools and drove back to the Motel. By the time I got to sleep, it was 2:00am. My alarm went off at 5:00am. Needless to say my times sucked, but I finished!! Tongue Beat that one!
        Oh, Ken...I think you win! How awful! Road bike tires aren't all that cheap, either, which just adds insult to injury, I'm sure. k

~ Sarah Kay

I've done this more than once Blush ... failing to wake up early enough to beat the heat in the summer ... and going running at noon when it's 95* out ... stupid, stupid, stupid!
          2009: BQ?
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've done this more than once Blush ... failing to wake up early enough to beat the heat in the summer ... and going running at noon when it's 95* out ... stupid, stupid, stupid!
            Yeah...ditto. Thankfully Fall is close at hand! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Oh, and I should mention that my right knee is really pissed at me after last night. That'll learn me to not turn a recovery run into a tempo run. Tongue k
              for me it's my left knee, and for the exact same reason (not sticking to the plan and going faster and/or longer than i'm "supposed" to.). i had to take most of the summer off because of it. boo. which reminds me: the other big mistake is that we tend to not take our rest/recovery as seriously as we should (some folks are better at this than others, i know). among my IRL running friends, i'm the conservative, follow-orders-and-advice one, but i'm STILL jumping back in a little too early 95% of the time.
                i do this all the time, too-- or did, until i let myself become an evening runner. there's more traffic when i run after work and more sketchy dudes out when i run after dinner, but at least it's cooler.
                  Not taking the time to stop and remove a very small pebble from my shoe on a long training run. STUPID!!!!!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Swadvad

Running a route that included about half a mile of road without shoulder or sidewalk. (Deep ditches on both sides) Every idiot driver in town passed by during those few minutes. After surviving the human "frogger" game, I changed my route.

Swadvad

Not taking the time to stop and remove a very small pebble from my shoe on a long training run. STUPID!!!!!!
                      Ha! I've done that too Bear. I kept thinking it would move down to the toe of my shoe. It moved everywhere BUT there.
                        Last night I didn't have a chance to run until after dark. Usually if it that's late I just won't run, but I really wanted to get a quick one in. I thought it was a great way to also beat the heat of the day. Unfortunatley I didn't realize how poorly lit the sidewalks in my neighborhood would be. The darker it got, the more intently I was focused on looking down at the sidewalk in front of me for cracks, sticks, rocks, etc. Then I ran straight into a telephone pole. Nice one. Fortunately I didn't seriously hurt myself. Just stunned and a little bruised. STUPID! Black eye
                          Running a route that included about half a mile of road without shoulder or sidewalk. (Deep ditches on both sides) Every idiot driver in town passed by during those few minutes. After surviving the human "frogger" game, I changed my route.
                          Been there, done that...have a T-Shirt for it..... Roll eyes Ran that route one time.....no one told me semi trucks took that back gravel road into town to miss the scales..... Dead

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Been there, done that...have a T-Shirt for it..... Roll eyes Ran that route one time.....no one told me semi trucks took that back gravel road into town to miss the scales..... Dead
                            I run County Roads an the gravel pit is the next road over so of course they just MUST come down our road too. Now if course we are entering harvest season. Grain trucks Combines and tractors. That is one reason I love my Sept 3 week Leave!!! O' dark thrity running!!!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Here's my stupidity for the week. I've been transitioning into running in Vibram FiveFingers (very minimalist shoes, more like foot gloves), plus some barefoot running. I'm enjoying it, and I know it's made my running smoother and more natural. The stupid part is that I still have habits acquired in normal running shoes. So on Monday I carelessly landed with the arch of my foot against the edge of a curb, and twisted my foot. Not my ankle, my foot. It was a very weird and disturbing feeling. I ran the 9 miles home anyway, with only a little discomfort. But since then it has been sore, and I've been giving it a break from running. I think I probably sprained it, though at first I was afraid it could be a minor fracture. Thankfully I think it's already getting better (I highly recommend visiting a hot tub for an injury like this, it felt great). Hopefully I'll only miss a week or two of running. Nothing like learning the hard way.
                              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                              Eileen H

Didn't eat before I ran and felt nauseous afterward. Bleh.