Alternatives to Nike Free that accommodate wide feet? (Read 131 times)

MrH

I've had great wear from several pairs of Nike Frees, but thanks to my wide feet, holes eventually form in the uppers at the widest point.  Size Men's US 13 ideally EE while the widest Nike Frees go is D.

What alternatives are there with a flexible sole and lightweight uppers?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Saucony Kinvara, perhaps?  Though my son wears the men's 7 and I wear the women's 8.5 and they feel identical, even in width.  Standard women's are a B and standard men's are a D, so they really shouldn't.  I have a wide foot and find that the men's Nike Free 5.0 is even a hair narrow on me.  I used to be able to wear the Free Run 3.0 in women's sizes, which was a predecessor to the Free 5.0.  That was quite possibly my favorite shoe of all time.

Eventually I may consider going back to NB, even though I've not been fond of their shoes for several years.  They used to be about the only thing that worked for me, because of their width offerings.  But when they dumped their SL-1 last in favor of the new PL-1 last I found that none of their shoes fit me right anymore.  I always hear good things about the Minimus line of shoes and I believe they still offer widths in most of those models.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Half Fanatic #846

I've had several pairs of Nike Free (5.0s and 3.0s), but now prefer Skecher's Go Bionic and Go Bionic Trail because they are light, inexpensive, flexible, and have a wide toe box similar to the Frees. But I've never worn a hole in them, although I do have size 12 wide feet. Currently I rotate 3 pairs of the Go Bionics - the only negative I can think of is they wear faster than most running shoes. Hope this helps.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I've had great wear from several pairs of Nike Frees, but thanks to my wide feet, holes eventually form in the uppers at the widest point.  Size Men's US 13 ideally EE while the widest Nike Frees go is D.

What alternatives are there with a flexible sole and lightweight uppers?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Marylander

Merrell Bare Access may be one to check out. They've got some cushion and a flexible sole. Very wide toe box works well with my fat (4E) feet.

Merrell Bare Access

Hoka One One maybe?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Why is it sideways?

New Balance usually has a wider toe box. You might try the minimus line.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Hoka One One maybe?

Don't Hokas run on the narrow side?  Altra Olympus have a nice wide toe box.

You people have issues 

Don't Hokas run on the narrow side?  Altra Olympus have a nice wide toe box.

They sure do

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

MrH

Hoka One One maybe?

Hoka One One? I've driven more minimalist cars that that.

Here is an artist's impression of  some Hoka One One's being delivered in my size.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

DeanCarolan

Merrill trail glove - your best bet for barefoot/ minimalist shoes. Bit clunky but ample toebox and very comfortable. Relatively inexpensive too. I rotate these with nike free 3.0.

kcam

I really liked my New Balance Minimus MT110, great shoe with a pretty wide toe box.  Also, Altra Instinct is close to minimalist and has a super wide toe box.  The Altra Olympus, though it has a nice wide toe box, is not minimal in any sense except zero drop.

I am a wide foot and the Hoka's are WAY too narrow.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

They sure do

Its more like.

You people have issues 

elodie.kaye

Nike Terra Kiger feels similar to me underfoot.  I recently learned the update (Terra Kiger 2) opened up the forefoot fit a little from the original.