Transitioning from endurance/LT to interval training (Read 816 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Best way to determine your Lactate Threshold HR is to do a time trial on a track. Warm up, then run for 10 minutes. Start recording, and run for another 20 minutes. Try to maintain the same pace. Your LTHR is the avearge HR at the end of the 20 minutes.
    Yeah, I agree this is probably the best way. I've seen one small adjusment with regard to heart rate -- multiply the average HR from the 20-minute segment by 0.98 to adjust for the fact that (like you said) LT is the pace you could hold for an hour, and in the 10+20 TT, you're only doing it for 30 minutes.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Greatest of All Time

I look up my predicted 15K pace with the McMillan calculator and use his tempo pace range as a goal. After a PR race - I see if it changes anything and start trying to move my pace down to the new range.
      Pretty cool calculator. I entered a 37:00 10k and the paces calculated were pretty close to how fast I run during a given workout, especially the Endurance runs (recovery, easy, and long). I found the stamina workout paces to be pretty interesting. Right now I don't do a lot of real tempo runs as I currently prefer progression runs of up to 9 miles. I typically start those at 7:30 pace and the finish around 5:30 pace.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

The Greatest of All Time

LT pace is about the pace you can hold for one hour. 5k pace is above LT pace.
        Based on this, LT would be somewhere between 10k and HM pace? I guess that makes sense. This is way too complicated for me. Too much minutia. If I was an elite level runner, I might analyze myself to this level, bit since I am not, I won't. I am crazy enough about my diet as it is.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

These thread has descended into lactate geekery, so I might as well throw this one out there: RVLT (in meters/minute) = 509.5 – 20.82 X [3200-meter time in minutes] Divide the result into 1609.344 to convert to minutes per mile. Or you could run 20~30 minutes at a comfortably hard pace that you could probably sustain for 40~60 minutes.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

These thread has descended into lactate geekery, so I might as well throw this one out there: RVLT (in meters/minute) = 509.5 – 20.82 X [3200-meter time in minutes] Divide the result into 1609.344 to convert to minutes per mile. Or you could run 20~30 minutes at a comfortably hard pace that you could probably sustain for 40~60 minutes.
            Yeah, this is why I stopped using a HRM.

The Greatest of All Time

So in other words I need to take a TI-85 to the track with me...great. I sold mine when I finished calculus in college...I knew I would need it again one day!

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Or you could run 20~30 minutes at a comfortably hard pace that you could probably sustain for 40~60 minutes.
                Right, got that. Just trying to figure out if I was ok to move on to the next section of my training or if I should spend a little more time here.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Right, got that. Just trying to figure out if I was ok to move on to the next section of my training or if I should spend a little more time here.
                  I think the consensus (before the side-trip to Geeksville) was that you should spend a little more time in your LT cycle. If you were training for a shorter race, the answer would probably be to proceed,

Scout7

So in other words I need to take a TI-85 to the track with me...great. I sold mine when I finished calculus in college...I knew I would need it again one day!
                    Or, you know, run by feel.

The Greatest of All Time

Or, you know, run by feel.
                      Which is pretty much what I do anyway.

Scout7

Which is pretty much what I do anyway.
                        Running fu. Globule doesn't like that much. He's too geeky.
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Globule doesn't like that much. He's too geeky.
                          I am so deeply in touch with my inner geek that I attain a geeky, transcendent state of running fu wherein I can feel my lactate threshold. I can know my pace and my heart rate without even looking at my watch. It's quite bitchin', really.

Scout7

I am so deeply in touch with my inner geek that I attain a geeky, transcendent state of running fu wherein I can feel my lactate threshold. I can know my pace and my heart rate without even looking at my watch. It's quite bitchin', really.
                            There's a mom joke here, but I'll let it slide.

Lazy idiot

There's a mom joke here, but I'll let it slide.
                              That's what the flour is for.

Tick tock

Scout7

That's what the flour is for.
                                See? I let you have a couple every now and then.