Compression shorts to avoid chafing? (Read 161 times)

hectortrojan

What do you do to avoid chafing where liner of running shorts touches the skin?

I am sure that bodyglide might be the popular option, but I wear compression shirts to avoid nipple chafing and am wondering about compression shorts to avoid chafing due to running shorts’ liner.

The only time I experienced this sort of chafing is last month when I did my longest run/hike in which I was on my feet for little over 6 hr.

People who experience this sort of chafing. What did you do for it? What works for you?

npaden

I wear compression type underwear on every run whether I'm running in shorts with liners or not.  Works best for me.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

I use BodyGlide on any run longer than 4 miles.  My training shorts all have compression liners.  My racing shorts are either compression shorts with no liner, or split shorts with mesh liner.

Rarely had issues when using BodyGlide.

Dream Maker

Compression shorts are the only thing that stop my big ole thighs from bleeding after runs.  Nothing other than fabric stops it.

Its skin skin not liners or fabric though- so I don't know if it helps for that

stshipley7

I use BodyGlide on any run longer than 4 miles.  My training shorts all have compression liners.  My racing shorts are either compression shorts with no liner, or split shorts with mesh liner.

Rarely had issues when using BodyGlide.

Compression shorts alone don't stop chafing for me . . . they help, but it doesn't stop it. In most cases with chafing, Body Glide is your friend.

-STS

Somebody recommended these on another thread.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sporti-polyester-solid-swim-jammer-24816/?color=10770

So far so good, but admittedly I haven't gone long with them yet.

Other compression shorts I've tried had seams in the wrong places.

I wear compression type underwear on every run whether I'm running in shorts with liners or not.  Works best for me.

This.  Also, have you tried medical tape like 3M Durapore for the nips?  Super cheap from the supermarket and removal is pain-free.  Game changer.

LRB

For some of us finding shorts that do not cause problems is as hard as finding the right shoe to run in.  For awhile there I cut the built-in liner out of my running shorts and ran with spandex type boxer briefs underneath which as a practical matter, was completely impractical.

Ultimately it came down to finding a brand that works in a size that works.  I normally wear an extra large in regular shorts but found a medium in running shorts was the way to go, essentially two sizes smaller.  What?!

Having said that when my runs get deep into the double digits things become unpredictable and I have found through trial and error that compression or spandex type running shorts with nothing underneath work best and that is the only way I can pretty much guarantee there will not be any issues.

ultramarathon/triathlete

What do you do to avoid chafing where liner of running shorts touches the skin?

I am sure that bodyglide might be the popular option, but I wear compression shirts to avoid nipple chafing and am wondering about compression shorts to avoid chafing due to running shorts’ liner.

Aquaphor.  Bodyglide is good too, but I've found Aquaphor works better for me.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

aponi

never runs the tangents

sorry but body glide will set you free

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

Somebody recommended these on another thread.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sporti-polyester-solid-swim-jammer-24816/?color=10770

So far so good, but admittedly I haven't gone long with them yet.

Other compression shorts I've tried had seams in the wrong places.

That might have been me on a different post.

I was having terrible chaffing this summer and a competitive swimmer friend whom also runs told me swim jammers were the only thing he ran and and he liked them a lot more than compression shorts.   I bought a pair and thats about all I wear now.   They work really well but are not nearly as tight or as hot to wear as compressions shorts.

I've worn them up to 10 miles with no problems...

Champions are made when no one is watching

jeffdonahue

Ditto for me - I need the compression shorts and bodyglide for anything longer than 3 miles.  3 miles and under and I might risk not using the Bodyglide, but it is a gamble depending on the day.

Compression shorts alone don't stop chafing for me . . . they help, but it doesn't stop it. In most cases with chafing, Body Glide is your friend.

-STS

kcam

My problem isn't the liner it's skin on skin that chafes my thighs.  I'm a big fan of Brooks Infiniti II shorts.  I use them for anything longer than about 13 mile run or race.  They don't have compression shorts but the liner is what they call 2-in-1 boxer-briefs.  4.5" inseam is not too long, not too short for me.  Got some velcro pockets for you Gu fans.  Not cheap but they work well.  I have two pairs and I might to get another one or two just in case they stop making them.