yaktrax - how long do they last? (Read 41 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I have a pair of Yaktrax that I've worn 5-10 times this season, on runs ranging from 4-11 miles, on snow-packed, icy, and snow-covered pavement - and some road crossings wearing the suckers on wet but cleared pavement. Today they broke. So, I recognize that the "ideal" conditions for Yaktrax would be all snow, on a trail ... somewhere a bit gentler than snow-covered pavement, ice, and the occasional wet-but-cleared street in the Twin Cities.

All that being said, how long have your Yaktrax lasted? I just had one of the rubber pieces snap, resulting in a loose coil ... springing annoyingly with every freaking stride. The thing snapped just before mile 4 of today's 11 mile run. Annoying as heck.

So, how long have your Yaktrax lasted? And if you recommend something other than Yaktrax, what is it?

Thanks!

Chris

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Yaktrax are known for breaking. I haven't used them in years.

I use Kahtoola microspikes for trails most of the time, but would probably use either screw shoes or ice joggers (strap-on studs) if I were running on icy pavement. I'm not sure how many miles I've got on my microspikes, but using them for about 3 yrs.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog