migrating pains - shins/ankles (Read 491 times)

Finished!

I find myself disappointed and discouraged. It was the tail end of January when I benched myself with shin splints - i switched over to the elliptical and found that I developed a twinginess in the inside of my right ankle. On occasion, on going up stairs, the ankle would flare with pain. I haven't noticed (tho I'm not the most observant) any abnormal swelling or inflammation. Last week I switched to non bearing weight xtraining exercise (mostly bike and yoga). I have a HM scheduled just over a week away. I was hoping to run it - then with the shin splints to run/walk it. Now I'm thinking walk/run or even just walk it - though several running friends (not here Wink ) have suggested I DNS the race. I had planned on hitting a treadmill at a gentle gentle pace to reevaluate the situation prior to my dr's appt on Monday, but my friends are telling me that that may not be wise. Any opinions/suggestions here? I eagerly await your responses
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
    dillydoodles

woodlandsprite, the experienced runners and racers will be able to give you the best advice, however, I just want to throw my 2 cents worth in. I think you need to ask yourself some questions. Such as... if you know you can't give your best effort because you are injured, what do you hope to gain by mostly walking the HM? (a fun day out, camaraderie, free Gatorade?) And, would you prefer to see a super slow time (walking pace) beside your name, or a DNF rather than a DNS? And are you willing to risk running faster than you should, despite the pain, and perhaps make your injuries worse? (Modified to add - you could get caught up by the excitement of the race and go too hard and make your injuries worse.) If you can answer the questions to your own satisfaction, that's great. I think you are the best one to judge what you should do. N'est pas? Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. I'll turn this over to the big guns who actually know what they're taking about Smile ~ Arlene

Finished!

And are you willing to risk running faster than you should, despite the pain, and perhaps make your injuries worse? (Modified to add - you could get caught up by the excitement of the race and go too hard and make your injuries worse.)
        Arlene: Thanks for the comment - I suspect my problem stems from my Type A personality :P Highly Goal Oriented, and already irritated that things aren't progressing as I imagined they should. I am of a mind that I really don't want to make the injuries worse, so taking that into account with my Type A tendencies is making me lean towards DNS - if I force myself to walk the whole thing I'll likely be disgruntled even if I do get the shiny medal for finishing - I *know* I can walk a 13.1 distance without problems - I normally hiked distances of that length. I'll be looking forward also to seeing if the "big guns" chime in Wink
        Walk + Jog = wog.
        I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
        I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry