2015 NYC Marathon Thread (Read 376 times)

Anonymous Guest

Submitted my qualifying time information in the first 5 minutes registration was open; still "pending verification." How long can it take? So many others have heard already. C'mon, how many females 60-64 are trying to enter with qualifying times? A lot I bet, but not as many as in the younger age groups. Getting anxious.

Geez, that is really frustrating. I assume you just got an even slower results-checker than I did. I hope you hear soon!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Geez, that is really frustrating. I assume you just got an even slower results-checker than I did. I hope you hear soon!

+1

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Finally got the notification -- I'm in!

I actually emailed the NYRR when I hadn't hear in over a week since applying with a qualifying time. I know the web site said it could take up to 2 weeks for verification, but I got anxious. They were quite nice and emailed me back within 2 days. So now I can spend my snow day weighing the pros and cons of various training plans and imagining my summer training program.

Anonymous Guest

I am so glad to hear this! Congrats!!

I actually emailed the NYRR when I hadn't hear in over a week since applying with a qualifying time. I know the web site said it could take up to 2 weeks for verification, but I got anxious. They were quite nice and emailed me back within 2 days. So now I can spend my snow day weighing the pros and cons of various training plans and imagining my summer training program.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Great!  See you in NYC!  I'll be the one wearing...um, not sure at this point.

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

I received my email confirmation yesterday. Is it the case that New York is such a large City that the hotels don't get booked or is lodging an issue? Also, can you stay in Manhattan and take the ferry to the start line? I don't really even know how to start planning. Any advice?

old-runner

I got in on a guaranteed entry qualifying time from the Brooklyn Half Marathon. It'll be my first marathon since I ran NYC back in 2010.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I received my email confirmation yesterday. Is it the case that New York is such a large City that the hotels don't get booked or is lodging an issue? Also, can you stay in Manhattan and take the ferry to the start line? I don't really even know how to start planning. Any advice?

I live in New Jersey, so lodging is not an issue for me but I've heard that the city books up fast so I'd look now. There are a variety of transportation options from Manhattan including buses and ferries. That information will be coming later.

Julia1971

I think if you're looking for a bargain, you should probably book early.  If not, you shouldn't find a problem finding a hotel somewhere in Manhattan.  In 2013, I want to say I booked over a month out and was still able to get a room at the official hotel, which was just a few blocks south of Central Park.  Last year, I don't think I booked until a couple weeks before the race.  The official hotel was booked but I was able to find another hotel in the Theater District, which was a further than I wanted to walk after the marathon, but was only 2 or 3 subway stops.  To me, the walk/subway ride after the marathon and the shuttle to the expo are more critical logistics than getting to the ferry so I think I prefer to stay near the Park.  Then again, I almost missed my corral cut off last year so I could be wrong. 

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

So the ferry is a suitable way to get to the start? I wasn't even certain of that.

I think if you're looking for a bargain, you should probably book early.  If not, you shouldn't find a problem finding a hotel somewhere in Manhattan.  In 2013, I want to say I booked over a month out and was still able to get a room at the official hotel, which was just a few blocks south of Central Park.  Last year, I don't think I booked until a couple weeks before the race.  The official hotel was booked but I was able to find another hotel in the Theater District, which was a further than I wanted to walk after the marathon, but was only 2 or 3 subway stops.  To me, the walk/subway ride after the marathon and the shuttle to the expo are more critical logistics than getting to the ferry so I think I prefer to stay near the Park.  Then again, I almost missed my corral cut off last year so I could be wrong. 

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

According to the finish area map, I should just rent a room at The Dakota. That will be nice and convenient. I'll just go check Priceline or Expedia next ...

Julia1971

So the ferry is a suitable way to get to the start? I wasn't even certain of that.

I like it.  I think it's kinda fun getting to the start with a sea of runners.  And seeing the Statue of Liberty and NYC skyline when you get to Staten Island.  I just need to factor in more time to get to the ferry station from the Central Park area.  It's a long subway ride.  And, the bus ride to Fort Wadsworth took longer last year than the year before.

You might also think about what you want to do while you're in town.  If you want to see a show or go to museums, you may want to stay closer to those attractions.

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

I made it in as well ..and have started looking at lodging. My wife and I enjoy travelling and staying in Bed & Breakfast's ... I know these are not B&B's, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Airbnb in NY?

Tim 

Anonymous Guest

I made it in as well ..and have started looking at lodging. My wife and I enjoy travelling and staying in Bed & Breakfast's ... I know these are not B&B's, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Airbnb in NY?

I've used airbnb in Boston and Newport, RI for races and had great experiences both times. I hope to use it for NYCM, but I've found so far the places I'm interested in are not taking bookings this far in advance. So I went ahead and booked a hotel just to ease my mind that I've got a place to stay, but hope to find a place using airbnb in a few months. Assuming I find a place, I'll just cancel the hotel.

We booked an Airbnb about 2 blocks from Central Park back in January. As far as I could tell, all we looked at were available to book, but they were going fast. Not sure why there would be a hold on available Airbnb places at this point.