running insomnia? (Read 2750 times)

Hi everyone - I'm just wondering if anyone else has issues with insomnia after long runs? I used to be able to sleep better when I started running, but this weekend I ran 8 miles at about 7pm and didn't sleep a wink! I'm a regular afternoon runner and like I said have never had any problems before. I know what you're thinking... I should just run in the morning, but I swear I'm afflicted by leg paralysis until about 8am or consumption of 2-3 Diet Cokes. Of course, it could just be pesky grad school stress creeping up again... but isn't that why I run in the first place??

The voice of mile 18

no when I workout at night I find it harder to fall asleep. not much you can do except try mediation/yoga, warm milk or whatever that helps you relax and fall asleep

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I have never experienced that myself, however I have read that along with the more typical signs (irritability, fatigue, injury) insomnia can be an indicator of overtraining. Something for you to keep in mind I guess...
        Eryn

Try ending your workout sooner. Not being able to sleep after a 7 pm long run isn't all that surprising, it messes with your circadian rhythm. Try for finishing your long run an hour or two before you did last weekend, that should take care of it. And the cokes? If you're drinking them in the late afternoon/evening, the combo of caffeine + late run would definitely keep you up!

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

Another Passion

I've just heard that one should not do any rigorous exercise 3 hours prior to your normal bedtime as insomnia may result. Makes sense to me.

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I used to go running every night at 9pm and I still was able to go to bed at 12. It makes no sense but that was the routine I was in and it worked for me.
              goat

Finder of good newts

I know I've had this problem - especially after longer or more intense runs. I think it makes sense if you just consider some of the arguments for running in the morning: 1) increases your calorie burn throughout the day (prolonged increase heart rate is part of this) 2) improves your synapse firing so you think more clearly 3) Jump starts your day... and some others. Switch those benefits to the evening and any of them could lead to a restless night. My vote - plan on staying up late (Hey! Study!), or just make sure not to run too hard - final mile sprints might make you pay. and I'm with joe_h - try the yoga.

It's hard to look down if you don't go up

Go Pre!

Finish with a long warm down, light jog to a brisk walk to a slow walk, then lots of stretching and a nice long hot shower. Dr Daddyo
                    Thanks everyone! For now I'm already up earlier in the mornings than I'd like to be so I'm going to stick with afternoon running. Actually, making time to run at all is starting to get a bit difficult, but I've decided to prioritize it over research (don't tell my advisor!) at least until I run my first half marathon in a month. I'll try to take some of your suggestions for ways to relax at night.
                      I'm an evening runner. Just got back from a 4-miler after 10PM. Usually I can take a shower, have a snack, read for a while and get to sleep by 12:00. I prefer to be an early riser but the way family and work are right now, it just goes better this way. Once in a while, I have some trouble getting to sleep, but not regularly enough for it to bother me much or to blame it on running too late at night.

Jeremy

The voice of mile 18

OR a couple beers and watch cspan or the weather channel

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Go Pre!

OR a couple beers and watch cspan or the weather channel
                          or three fingers of scotch and a browse through these forums. Wink

Another Passion

Perhaps she should change her name to Snoozyq? Maybe that would help? BahDumBump.... Roll eyes

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I'll consider it Wink
                                I run at such different times depending on what my schedule for the day is like. I've been known to get on the treadmill at 9 or 10 at night (I don't like to run outside in the dark). Lately I've been running after 6:30 and finishing up after dark. I haven't noticed any problems with sleeping from running later. But I tend to be up late anyhow, and randomly I'll have trouble sleeping but that's usually due to stress. I like the yoga idea, that would help your body to relax after the run.
                                Perhaps she should change her name to Snoozyq? Maybe that would help? BahDumBump.... Roll eyes
                                Funny!

Michelle