pronation hypothesis - does distance matter?? (Read 1535 times)

Wow - I forgot about this thread... I switched from Saucony Hurricanes to Asics 2130's (which is a notch lower in stability). Instantly a good move. I'm thinking about going a little lower to the 1130 sometime soon. Something else I changed...I had a retired pair of shoes that I would wear to work (i'm a teacher and am on me feet a lot, and can get away with wearing running shoes with a tie.) This is a little weird but it did help. I put two layers of felt into the heel of all of my shoes - a heel lift. It took just enough pressure off the tendon to let it heal. This was about 6 weeks ago, and I have had no problems with PT since. I put on the Grid Omnis to mow the grass, and they felt terrible. I haven't worked into the high mileage yet, but I'm definitely over PT. Too much stability is just as bad as too little. There, I said it. Good week to everyone!
    Excellent. I was at Dick's Sporting Goods the other day and they have this fancy machine where you walk on it and it does some sort of mumbo jumbo technical gimmickry to tell you what shoe to buy. As always, it said "motion control" or "support" (I forget which). I promptly bought the new WaveRiders (neutral).
      If you tune in inward you can hear what you need. A podiatrist friend used to watch me run at the Y. He recommended Brooks Beasts, uh.....bricks. Got Saucony Hurricanes, big and klutzy. Running store owner said I needed MC shoes too. I told him I needed lighter shoes, got the Mizuno Alchemy's, I was in heaven. Next I knew I needed lighter shoes, went for the Mizuno Wave Creation, improvement, got a second pair, ran some marathons in those. I know I needed lighter shoes, got the Mizuno Wave Riders, cushioned shoes. Now were talking, 4 Wave Riders into it I got shin splints and stress fracture. Strengthening the ankles and lower limbs fixed my whole pronation problem. Going for performance shoes short of racing flats. You can over time strengthen the lower limbs as Nobby was suggesting. Using more plastic to prop up the lower limbs is nor an answer, it's a crutch. All taht trash weighs too. It's insane running in high heels.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Excellent. I was at Dick's Sporting Goods the other day and they have this fancy machine where you walk on it and it does some sort of mumbo jumbo technical gimmickry to tell you what shoe to buy. As always, it said "motion control" or "support" (I forget which). I promptly bought the new WaveRiders (neutral).
        I was told I have "moderate" pronation. The shoe that has made me happiest is a very mild stability shoe. When I try to go back to my more moderate stability shoes they hurt. I keep trying to give them a second chance (after going through 3 pairs and purchasing a 4th...it was not long after that I started having issues with the shoe). I think my problems with that shoe have more to do with how canted they are, more than the level of stability, maybe...I think my legs became accustomed to a shoe without that angling.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

IMHO most running stores will sell you much more shoe than you need. I've never seen someone go to the store, get evaluated, and be recommended a lightweight trainer. Maybe it's because they are CHEAPER?? Once, in my younger and dumber years, I got a pair of motion control shoes because they were cheap on close-out. Man, I never had so many problems. Junked them in 100 miles. I'm down to such light shoes (Mizuno Wave Precision) that I'm relegated to mail order as no store will stock them. Those heavy clodhoppers aggravate a tight achilles and make it tighter. A lower profile shoe will allow it to stretch more. I actually have found that doing a workout or two a week in flats has allowed me to move between very minimal flats for HM and marathons and lightweight trainers for bulk mileage with no issues.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

The Greatest of All Time

When I worked at a running specialty store we looked carefully at your old shoes, asked you questions about your training and any injuries. We watched you walk around the store, and then run on the sidewalk outside the store. If you ask the right questions, listen to the answers, and watch someone run it doesn't take a GED to get them in proper shoes.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            grateful runner

Lets not hate on the fancy shoe store types. I would rather buy my stuff from someone I can have a conversation with than save $5 and be ignored by some kid who used to play jr. varsity basketball when he was in high school. A good salesperson will listen when you tell them what's up. Learn from my lesson - don't listen to everything you read or hear and be responsible for your own gear. you are the one who has to wear it.
              2009 Goals 1500 Miles 21:30 5K 1:40 Half Marathon 3:45 Marathon 200 Mile month