Speed Work (Read 432 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'm putting a list of speed workouts together for easy reference. 

Take a minute and post your favorite speedwork.  Doesn't have to be on a track but can be.  Doesn't have to be hills but can be.  Post what you like to do when you're working to get faster.

I usually do Fartleks and hill repeats, and occasional intervals and a lot of tempo runs.

My favorite hill is one in Central Park along 72nd street.  It's about .10 miles up.  Warm up is the small loop of the park (1.7 miles) and then hit the hill at about 26 seconds up, jog easy down.  Doing 6 or 7 of those.  Then a cool down run.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

More information would help:

-          Grade of hill

-          Pace (sure, 26 seconds is 4:20/mile, but that’s what, 400meter pace? Or something else for you?)

-          Why. What is the purpose? Why run that pace? What distance are you using this workout to get faster for?

Without all that, it could just lead to a bunch of random workout information with nothing behind it.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Black-Toe-Nailed

* I like the VO2max intervals: 1200m or 1 mile at 5K pace with a 50-90% of the time at recovery pace. This is the 'classical' V02max workout as explained by Pfizinger you will thus probably already have it.

* "False Strides": After a recovery pace run (5 - 8mi) do 6- 8 "strides" but of 0.12mi (200m) instead of the classical 100m. They work as a sort of high intensity workouts.

They seem to work as I have greatly improved my speed at all distances and scored 2 PR this year Wink

And I'm going for a third one next Sunday (I will try 43' on a 10K).

Tell us as soon as you publish your list Wink

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
        then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
        I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

ultramarathon/triathlete

More information would help:

-          Grade of hill

-          Pace (sure, 26 seconds is 4:20/mile, but that’s what, 400meter pace? Or something else for you?)

-          Why. What is the purpose? Why run that pace? What distance are you using this workout to get faster for?

Without all that, it could just lead to a bunch of random workout information with nothing behind it.

I guess I'm just looking for whatever speedwork people like to do, to add to my repertoire and to keep things changing.  End goal being faster. Could be faster at the mile, faster at the marathon, doesn't matter to me, I'm looking for someone saying:  I like XX workout to get faster at XX distance.  I want to have more variety to my workouts and I race all distances.   In my experience, getting faster overall, translates to faster racing of any distance.

Also, I have no idea what that grade hill is, but it feels hard and we just tore up it, balls out.  I could not run a 4:20 mile outright!   My fastest mile is 5:03, run last season. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team