Pace Guesstimation (Read 695 times)

To qualify: I don't really run for pace, I'm just working on trying to build up my mileage. That said, it's nice to have a rough idea of how fast I'm running so that I can see if I'm improving or not. Of course, pace is super easy to figure out if I run on the treadmill, which is about half the time, but I have sort of a silly question about calculating pace outdoors. Here's my super precise formula for determining outdoor pace down to the nano-second. (There are two, actually): 1) Add up times of each song I listened to on my iPod during my run. Divide by distance. 2) Look at clock when I leave. Look at clock when I get back. Divide by distance. Clearly, I am hardcore. So here's my question. I run in an urban area, and unfortunately this means that I am often stopping at stoplights. Some days I get lucky, others I end up standing around for longer than I'd like. The question is, when I figure my pace, is it customary to include the time waiting for traffic since technically it is a rest and it takes place in the middle of my run, or should I subtract the time stopped at lights before I calculate my pace, since it was an involuntary stop? I'm sure there's no science to this, I'm just curious what you all think is the more accurate way of gauging pace. Thanks! Kristin

My Hero

Kristin - Yer makin my head hurt trying to keep up with ya on the additions & subtractions. Confused I know it's not the latest and the bestest, but the Garmin 205 GPS will take all the work out of figuring your paces. It has an "auto pause" that when you stop at traffic lights, it does too. You can probably pick one up real cheap too.

The Greatest of All Time

Why not buy a $25 Timex Ironman with a chronograph which you can stop and re-start whenever you hit traffic? They make small models for women. A Garmin would work too but costs a little more.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Junior Amphibian

Any good stopwatch should let you pause time whenever you stop running. Of course, this can be a hassle and that's why Garmin Forerunner is a good idea because it does it automatically whenever it detects you're not moving. After that, it only takes into account the moving time to calculate your pace, instead of the total time. Having said that, knowing your heart rate during a run is even more important, so if you're gonna buy the Forerunner, get one with a HR monitor.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

Keep it simple. Just look at time you started and got back. I can't remember to do that, so I take a watch with me. The time spent stopped at a traffic light is generally fairly small, and it does provide a recovery as well as interruption in flow. I call it a wash and just ignore it. Actually, I run trails 99% of the time, so it's generally not an issue. The few lights I do have on road runs are in the first 5-10 min, so part of warmup (that is, until they add a bunch of traffic lights this summer because of traffic hazards). If I have a major interruption (like talking with someone), I can subtract that time later (either block of low hr on hrm trace or gps accumulates stopped time). If I'm truly concerned about having an uninterrupted run, I go someplace without lights, downed trees, ice, etc.
            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              To qualify: I don't really run for pace, I'm just working on trying to build up my mileage.
              This is basicly how I run, too. I go for distance and just like to have an idea of my time, but not too worried about it.
              The question is, when I figure my pace, is it customary to include the time waiting for traffic since technically it is a rest and it takes place in the middle of my run, or should I subtract the time stopped at lights before I calculate my pace, since it was an involuntary stop? I'm sure there's no science to this, I'm just curious what you all think is the more accurate way of gauging pace.
              I have a Garmin, but i don't stop for lights, looking at beautiful views, nature calls, talking to people to figure out which way to go (i run trails most of the time); I don't stop the Garmin because I forget to restart it, which would also keep the distance paused. So when I log my time, I estimate the time "off" in minutes, and just take that out. You don't need a garmin - a simple watch can do the same thing.
              Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                Kristin, the adding up song time thing is really neat. I'd never thought of that! I thought the adding and subtracting red light waiting time is too much trouble and wouldn't be any more accurate then ignoring it. So, I figure if you take off in great speed like a horse out of the gate until you feel that you are in the same condition as before the waiting would make up the different. The longer you wait the faster you take off. Wink

A Saucy Wench

I manually turn off my garmin only at extended stops. One of our lights in town has a 3+ minute cycle. That is pretty long. Especially on a shorter run. But honestly...if you dont run for pace....I would not worry about it. If all you are looking for is a rough idea of pace, you will get that without subtracting lights or worrying about it. I went with the "look at the clock" method for years until I realized I wasnt cooling down enough in my haste to get in and see the clock. Then I graduated to a simple stopwatch Now of course I am a slave to the Garmin. It's like crack.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Timex Ironman all the way. Also, I like getting to know my stoplights (they are all quite friendly) and will use it as a fartlek workout. If I know it is going to change before I get there, I slow down. Otherwise I will speed up my pace to make it through the light before it turns and then slow down after the light.
                    jeffdonahue

For the stoplight thing, I would include it. Given that you probably run the same routes or similar each time then the amount of time you spend at the light should average out - sometimes you'll h it them sometimes you wont. It will give you an overall slower actual pace than you run but you should be able to see if you are getting faster at least. Or, what I tend to do is instead of stopping at the light - turn. Take a righ or a left and run down that street instead of crossing it and then cross mid-block if you have a chance. Of course if you hit every light you could end up circling the block. Big grin

shonan marathon, girl

I have a Timex Ironman. It's simple, cheap and will keep your time. Then if you get more serious, you can reward yourself with a Garmin, but I don't have one. To figure out my pace, I use this site to caculate the distance of my running course. http://42.195km.net/e/

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

Get an inexpensive digital watch for timing your runs. Try to find parks or other areas to run away from traffic, crowded sidewalks etc. It is safer as well as more enjoyable.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.