AM running considerations (Read 1049 times)

Lazy idiot

I usually run in the evenings, as I'm not known to be an early riser. It's getting to be that time of year (May-September) here in Ohio where the heat and humidity make extended outdoor activity a bit more difficult. I decided that I'm going to try and do more runs in the morning, and did my first one today. I rolled out of bed, pulled on my gear, and went out for a short run. I didn't feel bad, but was a bit stiff. I was wondering if this could possibly be attributed to going straight from bed to the road (I think yes)? Also, for you AM runners (I know you're out there), can you describe your routine on the mornings you run (how often do you wake up before you run, do you eat beforehand, etc.)? Thanks in advance! Drew

Tick tock

I didn't feel bad, but was a bit stiff. I was wondering if this could possibly be attributed to going straight from bed to the road (I think yes)?
      I'm really not a fan of morning running ... I like starting my day with a run, but I am SO MUCH SLOWER in the am than I am in the afternoon or evening. If I do drag my butt out of bed, I normally eat something v. small, like half a granola bar or half a banana (unless it's a long run). Ugh, it's almost summer in Baltimore too , which means heat and humidity ... Dead
      2009: BQ?
        I live for morning runs- I love that there's no pedestrian traffic (since I run through downtown Boston) and very little car traffic to worry about. It's also perfect weather. My typical morning routine is the alarm goes off at 510, I hit snooze once, and laze around after that for a bit, so I get up around 530. I go to the bathroom, put in my contacts, get dressed and all my gear fitted, then head upstairs. I drink a full glass of water, brush, floss, listerine, and I'm ready. I never eat before I run because I hate the feeling of food in my stomach- it doesn't have a chance to digest at that point. If I'm doing a longer run (anything over 7 miles) I will do one of two things- supplement the glass of water with another glass of half gatorade/half water, or (like this morning), carry some shot blocks with me to take around mile 5.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

how often do you wake up before you run
          Never. I prefer to run in my sleep. Wink Sorry, couldn't resist. When the Summer hits in full force round my parts, it gets awfully hot. I like to wake up and get running predawn. Okey, "like" is perhaps too strong a word. But I try to get to bed early, wake up about an hour before sunrise. Take care of my business, and then go out for a run. I come home 30-120 minutes later, recover and take in some simple calories. Once the sweating has stopped, I'll grab a shower and have a real breakfast. Usually my family is waking up as I get home.
          psycrunner

Hey Drew--You and I are switching places this week, so the Universe will remain balanced! I have always been an early morning exerciser, including running. Until this week....now that summer has arrived, my work schedule is a little less crazy and I went out last night for my first run after work (I live in the mountains of NC, so running in the evenings is not difficult, weather-wise). In terms of my morning routine, I always rolled out of bed, ate a little something (like a banana) for short runs (under 5 miles) or a little something more for longer runs (like a bagel with PB&J or cream cheese and part of a power bar) and headed into the run.....running in the morning always seemed easier for me. Hope you find a routine that works for you! Carol
            Carol
            va

Most of my runs are in the early morning. The weekday routine goes like this: wake-up 5:30 AM go to bathroom - brush teeth, shave, ... drink some water out the door by 6:00 AM run about an hour shower east breakfast go to work I usually don't feel ony stiffness in the morning. On the weekends, I don't use an alarm clock, so I just get up naturally (usually around 6:30), and repeat the same basic routine.
                Normally it's early a.m. running or no running so I do most of my miles in the early morning, year round. I've been doing it for years and even hit weekly mileage levels in the 80's at one point. This time of year it becomes incredibly easy since the sun is up at 5 and the birds are making noise outside my window. I love morning runs this time of year. The winter is when it's tough. Yes, I am usually stiff in the morning. That's just how it is, you're going from sleep and your lowest HR of the day to running and your highest HR of they day very quickly. I try to do the first mile of every morning run very slowly--more than normal--to let things warm up. Like trishie, I have just gotten used to the fact that everything is slower at 5:30 a.m. than it would be in the afternoon or even the evening. I can even convert in my head what a certain pace at 5:30 a.m. is "worth" if it had been at 5:30 p.m. This is especially true for workouts. You can't get stressed out if you don't hit a certain pace for a set of 800's or something--you have to allow for it to be slower. My routine is pretty simple, especially this time of year. -Get up around 5:05, sneak to the bathroom (we still have a baby sleeping in our room) -Put in contacts, put on my running gear which I've left in the bathroom the night before -SNEAK down the creaky 100 year old wooden steps to the kitchen -Drink a 16 oz gatorade that I mix myself while I put on my shoes -do 35 pushups and 50 crunches -check the weather on weather.com -go to the bathroom one last time (hoping the crunches and gatorade have gotten things moving) -out the door around 5:30 -walk to the bottom of my hill, maybe 100 yds from my back door. -start watch, start jogging....

Runners run

My dogs are fast, not me

My runs are early morning as it's too darn HOT to go out in the evening. I wake up at 5:00 am, let the dogs out and drink a cup of coffee (I use the delay brew so coffee is ready when I get up) while they attend to business. Then I feed them and as they're eating, I get dressed (I find if I put my clothes out the night before I have no excuse not to skip my run). When the dogs finish their breakfast, I put them out again for any potty business. The dogs go back to bed and I head out the door. I try to be out the door by 5:30. I don't eat anything until I get home, usually between 6:30 / 7:00. I've found that if I do a lot of preparation the night before, like set the coffee to brew, lay out my clothes, put my ipod out, etc. I get out the door a lot more smoothly.

Robin

va

...I've found that if I do a lot of preparation the night before, like set the coffee to brew, lay out my clothes, put my ipod out, etc. I get out the door a lot more smoothly.
                    Yes, these are good tips. If you have things ready, you reduce the risk of disturbing the others who are still sleeping...

Lazy idiot

Thanks for the advice, everybody! Sounds like 7 AM isn't early enough for me (unless I plan on only running very short distances like today!). I'll probably end up having a mix of evening/morning runs as the summer gets into full swing, but I can see I'll have to prepare a little more for those AM jaunts. I appreciate the thoughts.

Tick tock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This may sound kind of obvious, but being a night person, I have to keep reminding myself -- you're going to have to get to bed earlier, and do so on a regular basis until your body gets used to it. It's hard enough to get up early and run; it's even harder if you were up until 1:30am goofing around on the computer or whatever. Good luck Drew!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You'll ruin your knees!

Take care of my business
                          Oh really, what kind of business are you in? Tongue High temps and bad air force us to run early in the summer...it still stinks to get up and go outside to be met with 82 degrees! What? I get up at 4:45 to do a cool morning early run and all I get is 82 degrees??? Blah! Good news is right now, we're still cool enough to get out during the day, so I am sleeping in and running for lunch and end of day...save the pre-dawn stuff for warmer weather (probably next week Dead) Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Lazy idiot

High temps and bad air force us to run early in the summer...it still stinks to get up and go outside to be met with 82 degrees! What? I get up at 4:45 to do a cool morning early run and all I get is 82 degrees??? Blah!
                            Yeah, Ohio is no Texas, to be sure. But it still sucks. I like staying up late, but I think I'll like running in somewhat cooler temps a little better.

Tick tock

derek

Thanks for the advice, everybody! Sounds like 7 AM isn't early enough for me (unless I plan on only running very short distances like today!).
                              I get up anywhere from 5:05am -5:30am depending on how far I need to run. I just brush teeth, dress and I'm out the door 5-6 mins after waking. As you can tell form the responses, most morning runners seems to getup at 5Tight lippedx am. I'm always done running by 7am (except on weekends)

Derek

I'm another night owl in Texas that's been adjusting my sleep schedule to early morning before the brutal part of summer gets here. It's been challenging since I've been on my late night schedule for so many years. It has been very tough to get out the door in the AM, but its getting easier. I will definitely try putting stuff out the night before. In terms of routine, I am more like Derek, in that I brush my teeth and head out the door. I take care of coffee, business etc when I get home.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?